Autosense shield for Due

Home Forums Hardware Other Autosense shield for Due

This topic contains 17 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of that_kid that_kid 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So I’ve been playing with the shield all day and come up with some thoughts.

Volume control is very much doable, but which route do I go? Do I go the inexpensive route and use just use a digital potentiometer which will work, but may[/i:1b87

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yes – Audio switch and volume control (4 inputs)
    Yes – HD Tuner connection (with hookup cable)
    Yes – EEPROM
    Don’t care (my car is PRE-CANBUS) – CANBUS connections
    YES – Temperature sensor connections
    YES – Possible connection for GPS (for devices without

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Thanks for the input Jeff.
    The self configuring part would be since Autosense could identify that the “official” shield is plugged in it would know where things are hooked up. So the temperature sensors would just need to be plugged in and then

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

Yes – EEPROM
    Yes – CANBUS connections
    I personally don’t have any use for this but I’m sure it could come in handy for others- Temperature sensor connections
    Yes, plus you could expand the gps use in the futur

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

OK. This is some good feedback.
    Most of the stuff is inexpensive, such as temp sensor connections. Minor stuff that some people want, others may not.
    What’s your thoughts on fets vs a nice beefy PNP transistor (to supply 12v instead of ground).

On

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So I’ve been working on the shield. So far I’ve planned for 12 input using a 2×6 micro mate-n-lok connector. It’s compact, locking, and works well. I’ve got 10 outputs using screw terminals that can handle 10 amps, and using P channel fets that are rat

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Voltage regulator? Car voltage will fluctuate a bit

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I could put a power supply on it. Something to offer nice clean power. A simple voltage regulator won’t be enough.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I meant for the 12v in you mentioned.. I was going to suggest power supply.. But cost will go up

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah. The 12 volts is just a switch from the supplied voltage to an output. So you could turn on an amp or something with fairly low requirement, or use a relay for bigger stuff.
    It would probably be a good idea to offer a PSU so I know the power is cle

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I think I’ll filter the 12 volts as clean as possible, and then just use the regulators already on the Due for the remaining filtering and regulating.
    If we’ve already got 12 volts coming into the board it would be easy to filter and use as a supply. I

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So this is a rough price breakdown so far. These are all approximate cost of components only, no markup for my work 🙁

Base unit: includes 4 layer PCB, pin headers, po

that_kid
    Participant

@eric wrote:

What’s your thoughts on fets vs a nice beefy PNP transistor (to supply 12v instead of ground).

The fets have lower internal resistance so they will pass more current and create less heat.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Looks good.. I think I would not need: CANBUS/ Audio switch & Volume control

for the I/O Components how many are there going to be for the $20 of components?

FTDI like this:
    <a class="postlink" href="https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Cool, like I said I’ll build to suite when finalized and charge accordingly.
    The input is a 12 pin connector that you an use for buttons, switches, or any digital signal going into the board that provides ground. So you could hook it up to a pin switch

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So I’ve been playing with the shield all day and come up with some thoughts.

Volume control is very much doable, but which route do I go? Do I go the inexpensive route and use just use a digital potentiometer which will work, but may[/i:1b87

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yes – Audio switch and volume control (4 inputs)
    Yes – EEPROM
    Don’t care (my car is PRE-CANBUS) – CANBUS connections
    YES – Temperature sensor connections
    YES – Possible connection for GPS (for devices without

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Thanks for the input Jeff.
    The self configuring part would be since Autosense could identify that the “official” shield is plugged in it would know where things are hooked up. So the temperature sensors would just need to be plugged in and then

that_kid
    Participant

Yes – EEPROM
    Yes – CANBUS connections
    I personally don’t have any use for this but I’m sure it could come in handy for others- Temperature sensor connections
    Yes, plus you could expand the gps use in the futur

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

OK. This is some good feedback.
    Most of the stuff is inexpensive, such as temp sensor connections. Minor stuff that some people want, others may not.

On

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So I’ve been working on the shield. So far I’ve planned for 12 input using a 2×6 micro mate-n-lok connector. It’s compact, locking, and works well. I’ve got 10 outputs using screw terminals that can handle 10 amps, and using P channel fets that are rat

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Voltage regulator? Car voltage will fluctuate a bit

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I could put a power supply on it. Something to offer nice clean power. A simple voltage regulator won’t be enough.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I meant for the 12v in you mentioned.. I was going to suggest power supply.. But cost will go up

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah. The 12 volts is just a switch from the supplied voltage to an output. So you could turn on an amp or something with fairly low requirement, or use a relay for bigger stuff.
    It would probably be a good idea to offer a PSU so I know the power is cle

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I think I’ll filter the 12 volts as clean as possible, and then just use the regulators already on the Due for the remaining filtering and regulating.
    If we’ve already got 12 volts coming into the board it would be easy to filter and use as a supply. I

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So this is a rough price breakdown so far. These are all approximate cost of components only, no markup for my work 🙁

Base unit: includes 4 layer PCB, pin headers, po

that_kid
    Participant

@eric wrote:

The fets have lower internal resistance so they will pass more current and create less heat.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Looks good.. I think I would not need: CANBUS/ Audio switch & Volume control

for the I/O Components how many are there going to be for the $20 of components?

FTDI like this:
    <a class="postlink" href="https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Cool, like I said I’ll build to suite when finalized and charge accordingly.
    The input is a 12 pin connector that you an use for buttons, switches, or any digital signal going into the board that provides ground. So you could hook it up to a pin switch

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.