Built the first shield

Home Forums Hardware AutoSense Shield Built the first shield

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of that_kid that_kid 2 years ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So after getting my shipment of PCB’s today, I put the first one together 😀
    So far things all look good, some minor component value adjustment, just some minor stuff to help ensure stability. I did find one potential issue that I’ll need to play with. I have a couple of ideas on how to fix it. The problem is the ATTiny that’s on the shield, it’s reset pin is tied to a digital pin on the Arduino. I did this so I can reset it if something went wrong. The two devices acting as a watchdog. But when the Due is off the pin is low enough to overpower my planned resistor values and keep the Tiny off… sometimes. Sometimes is bad. My thoughts are this, put a smaller resistor pull up resistor. This will pull the voltage to the required range, at the cost of using more power, which isn’t ideal for standby mode. Second, disconnect the pin altogether and use the built in watchdog. This will require some more software for the Tiny, but not really a big deal. This won’t directly allow me to reset the MCU from AutoSense though if needed…

I think I’ll go for option 2. Disconnect the pin altogether and use the built in method.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Are they mostly ready to order now? (Unassembled I am thinking)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Correct. There is one chip that needs firmware that isn’t (easily) reprogrammed, so I’m doing everything I can to make sure it’s as perfect as can be before I solder them in. Once I’m happy with that then they’ll be ready to go, and any updates will be done via Android or the Arduino just like now.
    If you place your order I can begin assembly and start sending them out very soon.

I’ve implemented most of the Arduino side commands and they function well, most of the work to do is the Android side, the part your interact with 🙂

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

how is it going? What is currently functional on the shield?

Or a better question what is your projected timeline as far as functions?

Dates not needed, but more of an idea of what will be implemented in some order..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve tested all functions except CANBUS. I’m working on the Android portion mainly as the Arduino side is mostly done and working.
    I’ve got parts to build 10 shields right now and have started assembly. I’ve got one for myself fully put together, minus the GPS.
    One thing I’m still working on and determined to get is the USB device hookup without additional hardware. I’ve got the parts available to hookup, but hope I don’t need them.

So stuff 100% done is:
    – Hardware design (for V1) and parts ready to go
    – Android control of setting shield power down time and available abilities (weather it has audio, hd radio, etc)

Stuff that is working but needs polishing
    – HD Radio – Just plug it in and it works. The UI needs some cleaning up still.
    – Volume control is working, but very much hacked together for testing at the moment.

Stuff that needs a lot of Android work
    – Volume control and audio switching. It’s working, but hard coded. I’m working on getting the system preferences all nice to setup the audio inputs and what they’re for.
    – Included in the volume control is your custom volume intents.
    – Input and output configuration. Haven’t started it yet.
    – CANBUS. The hardware is all available and ready, but no software has been written yet.
    – GPS again haven’t started. This will be done much later.

I’ve been working hard to get the Arduino working so hopefully I can fix and update with Android code so you won’t need to flash Arduino firmware.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Ah cool.. CAn you post a picture so I can see how fine a pitch the components are?

Think I will assemble it myself and might just order one now.. especially if the HD radio stuff is working

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Everything is through hole except for one CAN Bus chip.
    I’ll need to post some instructions for assembly. It’s not difficult, but I’ve changed some component values that don’t match what’s printed on the PCB.
    The HD Radio stuff from before the shield is working, the UI and serial comms. But I haven’t finished the port to shield code yet. It shouldn’t take me long.
    My plan is to get the audio stuff working next, included is the HD radio. As it’s included with source switching and stuff.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve started on the documentation for shield assembly. It’s in the knowledge base under “Shield Assembly”

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

Oh this looks great, I wonder if I can modify some things for my particular install. For instance for the audio section I just need control of a digital pot. Most of my volume control comes from the steering wheel buttons over canbus and from a rotary encoder. I would need a way to signal my mini-dsp to switch sources when I switch over to the HD radio though.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

If you’ve already got a switch and only want volume control you can just use a single input. When I get to the canbus stuff I would like to use the available buttons for things like volume control. As long as I can get those signals and process them it shouldn’t be an issue, but I haven’t tried yet.
    Can the mini-dsp be switched from one of the outputs? Or what about using the shield switcher and volume, and feed it into the mini-dsp? I’ve never looked at them before so I don’t know their capabilities.

that_kid
    Participant

To switch inputs on the mini-dsp I have to either mimic an ir signal or mimic a rotary encoder and swtich. Mini-dsp doesn’t/won’t give you the code or any information on the one-wire interface they use. I can’t use audio switching on the due because audio from the tablet is optical from the dac to the mini-dsp. I have a set of analog inputs on the mini-dsp which I plan on connecting to the hd radio.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I see. So you plan on tablet-dsp and hd radio-dsp. then dsp-shield and shield-amp correct?
    If so, you could just use the table and dsp as planned, but hook the hd radio to the shield and use the switching that way.

that_kid
    Participant

I’ll go from the tablet to the dsp and from the hd radio to the dsp. The dsp has a built in switcher that I can use I just need to send an ir signal to it or mimic selecting that input via the rotary encoder. The ir is the easiest as the dsp responds like a learning remote.

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So after getting my shipment of PCB’s today, I put the first one together 😀
    So far things all look good, some minor component value adjustment, just some minor stuff to help ensure stability. I did find one potential issue that I’ll need to play with. I have a couple of ideas on how to fix it. The problem is the ATTiny that’s on the shield, it’s reset pin is tied to a digital pin on the Arduino. I did this so I can reset it if something went wrong. The two devices acting as a watchdog. But when the Due is off the pin is low enough to overpower my planned resistor values and keep the Tiny off… sometimes. Sometimes is bad. My thoughts are this, put a smaller resistor pull up resistor. This will pull the voltage to the required range, at the cost of using more power, which isn’t ideal for standby mode. Second, disconnect the pin altogether and use the built in watchdog. This will require some more software for the Tiny, but not really a big deal. This won’t directly allow me to reset the MCU from AutoSense though if needed…

I think I’ll go for option 2. Disconnect the pin altogether and use the built in method.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Are they mostly ready to order now? (Unassembled I am thinking)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Correct. There is one chip that needs firmware that isn’t (easily) reprogrammed, so I’m doing everything I can to make sure it’s as perfect as can be before I solder them in. Once I’m happy with that then they’ll be ready to go, and any updates will be done via Android or the Arduino just like now.
    If you place your order I can begin assembly and start sending them out very soon.

I’ve implemented most of the Arduino side commands and they function well, most of the work to do is the Android side, the part your interact with 🙂

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

how is it going? What is currently functional on the shield?

Or a better question what is your projected timeline as far as functions?

Dates not needed, but more of an idea of what will be implemented in some order..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve tested all functions except CANBUS. I’m working on the Android portion mainly as the Arduino side is mostly done and working.
    I’ve got parts to build 10 shields right now and have started assembly. I’ve got one for myself fully put together, minus the GPS.
    One thing I’m still working on and determined to get is the USB device hookup without additional hardware. I’ve got the parts available to hookup, but hope I don’t need them.

So stuff 100% done is:
    – Hardware design (for V1) and parts ready to go
    – Android control of setting shield power down time and available abilities (weather it has audio, hd radio, etc)

Stuff that is working but needs polishing
    – HD Radio – Just plug it in and it works. The UI needs some cleaning up still.
    – Volume control is working, but very much hacked together for testing at the moment.

Stuff that needs a lot of Android work
    – Volume control and audio switching. It’s working, but hard coded. I’m working on getting the system preferences all nice to setup the audio inputs and what they’re for.
    – Included in the volume control is your custom volume intents.
    – Input and output configuration. Haven’t started it yet.
    – CANBUS. The hardware is all available and ready, but no software has been written yet.
    – GPS again haven’t started. This will be done much later.

I’ve been working hard to get the Arduino working so hopefully I can fix and update with Android code so you won’t need to flash Arduino firmware.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Ah cool.. CAn you post a picture so I can see how fine a pitch the components are?

Think I will assemble it myself and might just order one now.. especially if the HD radio stuff is working

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Everything is through hole except for one CAN Bus chip.
    I’ll need to post some instructions for assembly. It’s not difficult, but I’ve changed some component values that don’t match what’s printed on the PCB.
    The HD Radio stuff from before the shield is working, the UI and serial comms. But I haven’t finished the port to shield code yet. It shouldn’t take me long.
    My plan is to get the audio stuff working next, included is the HD radio. As it’s included with source switching and stuff.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve started on the documentation for shield assembly. It’s in the knowledge base under “Shield Assembly”

that_kid
    Participant

Oh this looks great, I wonder if I can modify some things for my particular install. For instance for the audio section I just need control of a digital pot. Most of my volume control comes from the steering wheel buttons over canbus and from a rotary encoder. I would need a way to signal my mini-dsp to switch sources when I switch over to the HD radio though.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

If you’ve already got a switch and only want volume control you can just use a single input. When I get to the canbus stuff I would like to use the available buttons for things like volume control. As long as I can get those signals and process them it shouldn’t be an issue, but I haven’t tried yet.
    Can the mini-dsp be switched from one of the outputs? Or what about using the shield switcher and volume, and feed it into the mini-dsp? I’ve never looked at them before so I don’t know their capabilities.

that_kid
    Participant

To switch inputs on the mini-dsp I have to either mimic an ir signal or mimic a rotary encoder and swtich. Mini-dsp doesn’t/won’t give you the code or any information on the one-wire interface they use. I can’t use audio switching on the due because audio from the tablet is optical from the dac to the mini-dsp. I have a set of analog inputs on the mini-dsp which I plan on connecting to the hd radio.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I see. So you plan on tablet-dsp and hd radio-dsp. then dsp-shield and shield-amp correct?
    If so, you could just use the table and dsp as planned, but hook the hd radio to the shield and use the switching that way.

that_kid
    Participant

I’ll go from the tablet to the dsp and from the hd radio to the dsp. The dsp has a built in switcher that I can use I just need to send an ir signal to it or mimic selecting that input via the rotary encoder. The ir is the easiest as the dsp responds like a learning remote.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.