Marshmallow on Nexus 7

Home Forums Autosense General Discussion Marshmallow on Nexus 7

This topic contains 39 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of that_kid that_kid 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Tonight I downloaded a new ROM for my Nexus 7, it’s a Marshmallow ROM.  The one I got is “pure_nexus_grouper-6.0-20151203” and my goodness it’s fast.  It makes my tablet feel brand new again.  MUCH better than Lollipop.  If you are using a Nexus 7 and it feels slow, I would highly recommend this ROM.
    I’m going to do what I can to ensure AutoSense is compatible with the new system.  I believe things will work as they are for the most part, but I will be migrating to the new permission model eventually.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Which nexus 2013 or 2012

will the new permission model break the older stuff? hopefully not

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

2012.  My concern was the permissions, but unless I specifically target M they roll back to the previous mode.  Things seem to be working with mine, and @that_kid has said everything is working for him.

Eventually I will switch to the new model, but that is a big job I’m not ready for.

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

Eric I’ll have to try that rom for my 2012 Nexi’s but it’s great to know that it works great because Lollipop was horrible on my 2012’s and not that much better on my 2013.  So far things are still good with my 2013 Marshmallow install.  Reminds me of going from Windows Vista to Windows 7

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I need to upgrade my Nexus 2013 to Marshmellow..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

It was HUGE improvement. The 2012 went from a paper weight to what feels brand new.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Well, I am using Slimkat on my Nexus 2012 for debugging your Autosense.. I will leave that alone.. might upgrade my 2013 to 6 though

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Alright guys, I’ve run into an issue.  I’ve upgraded my Android Studio to the latest so I could try out the new Instant Run feature (AWESOME!!!) but it required upgrading everything to version 23, aka Marshmallow.  This completely breaks everything because of the new permission model.  I can’t even launch AutoSense without it crashing.
    The way I see it I have three choices.

1. Downgrade back to 22 and don’t use the new awesome features that make things so much faster and nicer to work with.
    2. Fix the problem with permissions and have Marshmallow compatibility
    3. Ignore the problem and say M devices won’t work

Number 3 is the worst, 1 isn’t my favorite, but 2 takes time.

I know @that_kid is using M, and I said in this thread M is great and fast.  I would like to move to the new permissions, and I guess this may be the kick I need, but it takes my time away from the shield stuff until it’s finished.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Actually I’ve found a nice library that is making things pretty easy.  I’ll do a once over with it tonight and try and get an update released.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve done a once over adding the new permissions… not too bad actually.  If you find anything that doesn’t work as expected please let me know.

that_kid
    Participant

ok i’ll give it a try and report back.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’m building a new one right now that has some more fixes.  If you wait until it’s done before trying that would be great.  Should be done in ~10 minutes.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

@that_kid have you had a chance to try it out yet?  The latest release (this past weekend) has some fixes for when permissions were revoked after initially being granted.

I think I’ve managed to find everything.  But more than likely I’ve missed something somewhere 😉

that_kid
    Participant

Yeah Eric I tried it and didn’t run into any issues so far. Weather worked fine, I’ll try a few other things today but so far so good.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Awesome.  I think I’m going to start a feature freeze and just finish what I’ve started so I can work on releasing a stable version 1.0 with support for the shield.  I considered the new permissions to be a bug fix 😉

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Tonight I downloaded a new ROM for my Nexus 7, it’s a Marshmallow ROM.  The one I got is “pure_nexus_grouper-6.0-20151203” and my goodness it’s fast.  It makes my tablet feel brand new again.  MUCH better than Lollipop.  If you are using a Nexus 7 and it feels slow, I would highly recommend this ROM.
    I’m going to do what I can to ensure AutoSense is compatible with the new system.  I believe things will work as they are for the most part, but I will be migrating to the new permission model eventually.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Which nexus 2013 or 2012

will the new permission model break the older stuff? hopefully not

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

2012.  My concern was the permissions, but unless I specifically target M they roll back to the previous mode.  Things seem to be working with mine, and @that_kid has said everything is working for him.

Eventually I will switch to the new model, but that is a big job I’m not ready for.

that_kid
    Participant

Eric I’ll have to try that rom for my 2012 Nexi’s but it’s great to know that it works great because Lollipop was horrible on my 2012’s and not that much better on my 2013.  So far things are still good with my 2013 Marshmallow install.  Reminds me of going from Windows Vista to Windows 7

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I need to upgrade my Nexus 2013 to Marshmellow..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

It was HUGE improvement. The 2012 went from a paper weight to what feels brand new.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Well, I am using Slimkat on my Nexus 2012 for debugging your Autosense.. I will leave that alone.. might upgrade my 2013 to 6 though

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Alright guys, I’ve run into an issue.  I’ve upgraded my Android Studio to the latest so I could try out the new Instant Run feature (AWESOME!!!) but it required upgrading everything to version 23, aka Marshmallow.  This completely breaks everything because of the new permission model.  I can’t even launch AutoSense without it crashing.
    The way I see it I have three choices.

1. Downgrade back to 22 and don’t use the new awesome features that make things so much faster and nicer to work with.
    2. Fix the problem with permissions and have Marshmallow compatibility
    3. Ignore the problem and say M devices won’t work

Number 3 is the worst, 1 isn’t my favorite, but 2 takes time.

I know @that_kid is using M, and I said in this thread M is great and fast.  I would like to move to the new permissions, and I guess this may be the kick I need, but it takes my time away from the shield stuff until it’s finished.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Actually I’ve found a nice library that is making things pretty easy.  I’ll do a once over with it tonight and try and get an update released.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve done a once over adding the new permissions… not too bad actually.  If you find anything that doesn’t work as expected please let me know.

that_kid
    Participant

ok i’ll give it a try and report back.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’m building a new one right now that has some more fixes.  If you wait until it’s done before trying that would be great.  Should be done in ~10 minutes.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

@that_kid have you had a chance to try it out yet?  The latest release (this past weekend) has some fixes for when permissions were revoked after initially being granted.

I think I’ve managed to find everything.  But more than likely I’ve missed something somewhere 😉

that_kid
    Participant

Yeah Eric I tried it and didn’t run into any issues so far. Weather worked fine, I’ll try a few other things today but so far so good.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Awesome.  I think I’m going to start a feature freeze and just finish what I’ve started so I can work on releasing a stable version 1.0 with support for the shield.  I considered the new permissions to be a bug fix 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.