Odroid C2

Home Forums Autosense General Discussion Odroid C2

This topic contains 35 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric Eric 8 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of idorel77
    idorel77
    Participant

Hi Eric,

what do you think about Odroid C2 ? This guy added a library on android for – Digital IO,PWM,LCD,Servos,Motors,I2C,…
    Odroid

Could be easy for you also to develop your app direct on 1 single board?

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of idorel77 idorel77.
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

looks like a nice package,

couple that with the RTC for time. They also have a 1024×600 screen, although I bet it is not bright enough for a car.

I am very close to ditching the android unit as I cannot see the screen in direct sunlight when I have my roof off in my car

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hmmm, I’ll have to look into it, I’ve never seen it before.

I had a Chalkboard Electronics screen with my Udoo… Worst screen ever.

idorel77
    Participant

I have just the touch from Chalkboard and i don’t have any problem.

Udoo is very slow in compare with odroid c2. And the support from odroid is 100 times better than udoo.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Udoo is so slow, unbearably slow.  I stopped using it.  I’ll have to look into an odroid at some point.

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

i’ve been looking at the odroid as well.  They have a nice sp/dif addon card but it doesn’t work with android as an OS, still they have a bunch of other features that I could use.  Plus having more than 1 usb port would be great, my nexus 7 is stable 98% of the time.

idorel77
    Participant

I use x300 expansion board from raspberry pi. Working out of the box on c2 with android.

That complete the c2 with all you need. http://www.suptronics.com/xseries/x300.html

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

TEll me more about your set-up..

OS, etc.. interested in this.. I can test it out then get a screen

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That sounds awesome, C2 with that addon board.  Please, do tell more 😀

that_kid
    Participant

Yes inquiring minds want to know 🙂

idorel77
    Participant

Here is a from c2 forum. ok = working 🙂 http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=22553

– Input Voltage- 6V to 18Vdc – ok
    – SATA (maybe also is working out of the box, if the HAT is connected with the C2 via USB) – ok
    – Audio – 3.5mm MIC in jack (maybe also working out of the box, with a standart Audio USB driver) – ok
    – SPDIF output (hmmm, you have to try) – ok
    – Audio IO connector Microphone input and stereo audio amplifier 3.3Wx2 (hmmm, you have to try) – ok
    – Wireless – WiFi (same like Audio … with a standart USB driver) – ok
    – IR sensor (not needed… C2 has one) – not use
    – Bluetooth serial communication (again, … with a standart USB driver) – not working
    – USB Storage (should be working out of the box) – ok
    – Real-time clock (you have luck, its a ds3231, … the same I’ve used in my ODLib Example (viewtopic.php?f=137&t=21858), is working fine) – i don’t know how to check this and i don’t know how to use your library
    – Camera flex slot (I think … not working) – not use

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

This looks great.  A lot of expansion for not a lot of money.  How well does Android run on the Odroid C2?

It looks like most of the accessories on the expansion are using USB, not amazing, but not bad.  If it all works and runs smoothly I don’t see anything wrong with it.

that_kid
    Participant

I’m really thinking of trying one of these out, think I’ll build up everything minus a touchscreen and see how things perform.  If all goes well I’ll start looking at screens.  The price isn’t bad at all, the only thing I’d like to see at a lower price is the eMMC memory module.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Which module are you talking about?  I think the hardest thing for automotive use will be the touch screen.  Finding one that can put up with the stresses of the harsh environment.

idorel77
    Participant

The android works smooth. You can use also the 40 pins for accessory , for ex: i tested serial gps and working well.

For the screen i use a chinese screen and chalk-elec touch , for me working nice.

• Author
    idorel77
    Participant

Hi Eric,

what do you think about Odroid C2 ? This guy added a library on android for – Digital IO,PWM,LCD,Servos,Motors,I2C,…
    Odroid

Could be easy for you also to develop your app direct on 1 single board?

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Profile photo of idorel77 idorel77.
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

looks like a nice package,

couple that with the RTC for time. They also have a 1024×600 screen, although I bet it is not bright enough for a car.

I am very close to ditching the android unit as I cannot see the screen in direct sunlight when I have my roof off in my car

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hmmm, I’ll have to look into it, I’ve never seen it before.

I had a Chalkboard Electronics screen with my Udoo… Worst screen ever.

idorel77
    Participant

I have just the touch from Chalkboard and i don’t have any problem.

Udoo is very slow in compare with odroid c2. And the support from odroid is 100 times better than udoo.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Udoo is so slow, unbearably slow.  I stopped using it.  I’ll have to look into an odroid at some point.

that_kid
    Participant

i’ve been looking at the odroid as well.  They have a nice sp/dif addon card but it doesn’t work with android as an OS, still they have a bunch of other features that I could use.  Plus having more than 1 usb port would be great, my nexus 7 is stable 98% of the time.

idorel77
    Participant

I use x300 expansion board from raspberry pi. Working out of the box on c2 with android.

That complete the c2 with all you need. http://www.suptronics.com/xseries/x300.html

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

TEll me more about your set-up..

OS, etc.. interested in this.. I can test it out then get a screen

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That sounds awesome, C2 with that addon board.  Please, do tell more 😀

that_kid
    Participant

Yes inquiring minds want to know 🙂

idorel77
    Participant

Here is a from c2 forum. ok = working 🙂 http://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=137&t=22553

– Input Voltage- 6V to 18Vdc – ok
    – SATA (maybe also is working out of the box, if the HAT is connected with the C2 via USB) – ok
    – Audio – 3.5mm MIC in jack (maybe also working out of the box, with a standart Audio USB driver) – ok
    – SPDIF output (hmmm, you have to try) – ok
    – Audio IO connector Microphone input and stereo audio amplifier 3.3Wx2 (hmmm, you have to try) – ok
    – Wireless – WiFi (same like Audio … with a standart USB driver) – ok
    – IR sensor (not needed… C2 has one) – not use
    – Bluetooth serial communication (again, … with a standart USB driver) – not working
    – USB Storage (should be working out of the box) – ok
    – Real-time clock (you have luck, its a ds3231, … the same I’ve used in my ODLib Example (viewtopic.php?f=137&t=21858), is working fine) – i don’t know how to check this and i don’t know how to use your library
    – Camera flex slot (I think … not working) – not use

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

This looks great.  A lot of expansion for not a lot of money.  How well does Android run on the Odroid C2?

It looks like most of the accessories on the expansion are using USB, not amazing, but not bad.  If it all works and runs smoothly I don’t see anything wrong with it.

that_kid
    Participant

I’m really thinking of trying one of these out, think I’ll build up everything minus a touchscreen and see how things perform.  If all goes well I’ll start looking at screens.  The price isn’t bad at all, the only thing I’d like to see at a lower price is the eMMC memory module.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Which module are you talking about?  I think the hardest thing for automotive use will be the touch screen.  Finding one that can put up with the stresses of the harsh environment.

idorel77
    Participant

The android works smooth. You can use also the 40 pins for accessory , for ex: i tested serial gps and working well.

For the screen i use a chinese screen and chalk-elec touch , for me working nice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.