Shield is in the car

Home Forums Hardware AutoSense Shield Shield is in the car

This topic contains 43 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff- 1 year, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Cool I will try to install it this weekend

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve got it actually working now.  Currently there are only 4 things you can do, volume up, down, mute and broadcast intent.

So you can add multiple actions for each button. Go to Settings/IO Config/Actions.  When there, only the first two types work (Global and Individual).  Global will run on every instance of the selected button.  So say you have two music buttons on the home screen, the configured action will run when either of them is pressed.  Individual will only run on the one configured button.

Some actions are mutually exclusive (volume up, down, mute) so if you select one the others will automatically be unselected.  You can however select multiple actions if you want that aren’t exclusive, like sending a broadcast intent and adjusting the volume.

If you configure a global action and and individual action for the same button that are exclusive both will be run.  So you could have one volume up, and the other down, the volume will go up then back down.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

So will the current volume intent Settings still work or do I need to change them since they are tied to the Vol up and down buttons?

I don’t ant to update if it breaks that current functionality.

So you are saying if I have 2 HDtuner buttons ( side menu and home menu)  I can set an IO Output for global functionality to turn on when pushed ( i assume if it is already on, it will not do anything if I when home and pressed again.  I would have separate button configured to turn the IO off

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

So will the current volume intent Settings still work or do I need to change them since they are tied to the Vol up and down buttons?

I don’t want to update if it breaks that current functionality.

So you are saying if I have 2 HDtuner buttons ( side menu and home menu)  I can set an IO Output for global functionality to turn on when pushed ( i assume if it is already on, it will not do anything if I when home and pressed again.  I would have separate button configured to turn the IO off

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I haven’t changed the current volume stuff.  Your volume intents specified in the Advanced settings still work.

If you have two HD Radio buttons, one on the side and one on the homescreen, you can have both of them fire the intent to change the input.

For example, in Settings/IO Config/Actions you could set the global HD Radio button to change the input.  Click Global Buttons/HD Radio/System/Broadcast Intent.  A dialog will popup, fill in the intent on the left, and the channel data on the right under Extra Data, just like before.  Click save.  Now both HD Radio buttons will send the intent to change the input.

If you click home and then click the button again, the intent will still be broadcast a second time, but since you’re already on that input you shouldn’t see any change.

Following the same procedure, you can have another button to change to built in radio, or internal music or whatever other inputs you have.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Cool. Just to verify the outputs are not working yet right?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Correct

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Thanks.. I thought so.. I will hold off from wiring anything to them yet..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve begun moving them over to the new action editor. This will allow much more flexibility. It also makes the code a lot easier. Things are much more structured.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Still need to get to the car and try the new version.. I have a 1 sec delay box I am going to use for powering the tuner off the Remote wire.. Also waiting for my Antenna ‘Y’ cable

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

New version installed and I see how some of it is laid out..

Now things I noticed (HDTUNER related) I can get it to lock up and do nothing.. key off for a few seconds will not fix it either.

– If I adjust the system volume to 0 (zero) HDTUNER turns off (I hear the click), move volume to 1, it turns on

– If I switch between audio sources on my headunit (Intent code I gave you), The HDTUNER switches off and on. I was testing this with audio Out of the HDTUNER disconnected.

– I do have the headunit controlled by the Remote wire with a 1sec delay and I will go verify I am not dropping power on that line in any of the above situations.

I have to think if the Tuner power cycles too much along with commands being sent to it, maybe it gets lost? The odd thing is the on/off as I move to different sources, but if the Remote line pulses off than will explain it, but I never see the antenna move up and down and honestly it is an instant switch, no 1 sec delay ( due to the module I added)

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff-.
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Okay.. On off was the radio..

Radio is still locked, I think i need to shut the Arduino off with no delay? what does the arduino do with the radio commands if the HDTuner is off?

Next thing will be to set the Arduino to Off at key off but I think it will stay on due tot he delay on the radio.. I don’t mind the boot time, but for quick stops the fast recovery is preferred. so I need to keep messing with that. Once the radio resets I will try it again.

the scenario is weird I think it know si sit connected but nothing reacts, not even the arduino USB reset or the radio reset..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The HD tuner switching on and off is the shield.  When AutoSense is told to go to the HD Tuner it is supposed to make sure the radio is on by switching the power, that’s the click you hear in the radio.

Your internal intent source switching shouldn’t be power cycling the tuner (for any reason I can think of…)

If you have your HD Tuner accessory wire (the red one) hooked up to the same accessory wire that powers your head unit, it should always have the power it needs.  Then the shield will turn the radio on/off when needed.  Or, depending on current draw (I haven’t measured…) hook up the red wire to constant power.  Again, the shield should turn the radio on and off when it’s needed.

It’s setup so when you click the HD Tuner icon, the internal AutoSense audio source switches to the HD Tuner source.  If it’s NOT running, it sends the command to power up.  When you change the AutoSense source to anything else, it sends the power off command.

Maybe you could try powering the shields ACC line via the radio’s Remote wire.  It will keep the shield and Arduino powered up with the radio, and will power off when the radio turns off.  You could then set your stay on delay with just the radio (it has this feature correct?)  If it doesn’t, when I get the outputs working, then power the shield’s ACC line via the key’s ACC wire, and the radio’s ACC line via an output on the shield.  This will keep the radio on until the shield timeout occurs and shuts everything down.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

So the HDtuner Clicking, was my radio.. I re-wired it to a what I thought was the remote line, but at 0 volume the remote wire turned off (this one did anyway). so because it was turning off and one due to my radio controls I think it lost communication to the HDTuner. but the weird thing was it did not say no tuner detected.

I am hoping the Antenna y cable works for me, this way if I lose the HDtuner control I have the other tuner..

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff-.
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

It may have turned it off or something but still had communication.  I have had on rare instances where the radio is detected but the communication doesn’t work.  A reset fixes it (usually).  I’m still trying to improve it.

• Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Cool I will try to install it this weekend

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve got it actually working now.  Currently there are only 4 things you can do, volume up, down, mute and broadcast intent.

So you can add multiple actions for each button. Go to Settings/IO Config/Actions.  When there, only the first two types work (Global and Individual).  Global will run on every instance of the selected button.  So say you have two music buttons on the home screen, the configured action will run when either of them is pressed.  Individual will only run on the one configured button.

Some actions are mutually exclusive (volume up, down, mute) so if you select one the others will automatically be unselected.  You can however select multiple actions if you want that aren’t exclusive, like sending a broadcast intent and adjusting the volume.

If you configure a global action and and individual action for the same button that are exclusive both will be run.  So you could have one volume up, and the other down, the volume will go up then back down.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I don’t ant to update if it breaks that current functionality.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I don’t want to update if it breaks that current functionality.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I haven’t changed the current volume stuff.  Your volume intents specified in the Advanced settings still work.

If you have two HD Radio buttons, one on the side and one on the homescreen, you can have both of them fire the intent to change the input.

For example, in Settings/IO Config/Actions you could set the global HD Radio button to change the input.  Click Global Buttons/HD Radio/System/Broadcast Intent.  A dialog will popup, fill in the intent on the left, and the channel data on the right under Extra Data, just like before.  Click save.  Now both HD Radio buttons will send the intent to change the input.

If you click home and then click the button again, the intent will still be broadcast a second time, but since you’re already on that input you shouldn’t see any change.

Following the same procedure, you can have another button to change to built in radio, or internal music or whatever other inputs you have.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Cool. Just to verify the outputs are not working yet right?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Correct

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Thanks.. I thought so.. I will hold off from wiring anything to them yet..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve begun moving them over to the new action editor. This will allow much more flexibility. It also makes the code a lot easier. Things are much more structured.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Still need to get to the car and try the new version.. I have a 1 sec delay box I am going to use for powering the tuner off the Remote wire.. Also waiting for my Antenna ‘Y’ cable

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

New version installed and I see how some of it is laid out..

Now things I noticed (HDTUNER related) I can get it to lock up and do nothing.. key off for a few seconds will not fix it either.

– If I adjust the system volume to 0 (zero) HDTUNER turns off (I hear the click), move volume to 1, it turns on

– If I switch between audio sources on my headunit (Intent code I gave you), The HDTUNER switches off and on. I was testing this with audio Out of the HDTUNER disconnected.

– I do have the headunit controlled by the Remote wire with a 1sec delay and I will go verify I am not dropping power on that line in any of the above situations.

I have to think if the Tuner power cycles too much along with commands being sent to it, maybe it gets lost? The odd thing is the on/off as I move to different sources, but if the Remote line pulses off than will explain it, but I never see the antenna move up and down and honestly it is an instant switch, no 1 sec delay ( due to the module I added)

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Okay.. On off was the radio..

Radio is still locked, I think i need to shut the Arduino off with no delay? what does the arduino do with the radio commands if the HDTuner is off?

Next thing will be to set the Arduino to Off at key off but I think it will stay on due tot he delay on the radio.. I don’t mind the boot time, but for quick stops the fast recovery is preferred. so I need to keep messing with that. Once the radio resets I will try it again.

the scenario is weird I think it know si sit connected but nothing reacts, not even the arduino USB reset or the radio reset..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The HD tuner switching on and off is the shield.  When AutoSense is told to go to the HD Tuner it is supposed to make sure the radio is on by switching the power, that’s the click you hear in the radio.

Your internal intent source switching shouldn’t be power cycling the tuner (for any reason I can think of…)

If you have your HD Tuner accessory wire (the red one) hooked up to the same accessory wire that powers your head unit, it should always have the power it needs.  Then the shield will turn the radio on/off when needed.  Or, depending on current draw (I haven’t measured…) hook up the red wire to constant power.  Again, the shield should turn the radio on and off when it’s needed.

It’s setup so when you click the HD Tuner icon, the internal AutoSense audio source switches to the HD Tuner source.  If it’s NOT running, it sends the command to power up.  When you change the AutoSense source to anything else, it sends the power off command.

Maybe you could try powering the shields ACC line via the radio’s Remote wire.  It will keep the shield and Arduino powered up with the radio, and will power off when the radio turns off.  You could then set your stay on delay with just the radio (it has this feature correct?)  If it doesn’t, when I get the outputs working, then power the shield’s ACC line via the key’s ACC wire, and the radio’s ACC line via an output on the shield.  This will keep the radio on until the shield timeout occurs and shuts everything down.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

So the HDtuner Clicking, was my radio.. I re-wired it to a what I thought was the remote line, but at 0 volume the remote wire turned off (this one did anyway). so because it was turning off and one due to my radio controls I think it lost communication to the HDTuner. but the weird thing was it did not say no tuner detected.

I am hoping the Antenna y cable works for me, this way if I lose the HDtuner control I have the other tuner..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

It may have turned it off or something but still had communication.  I have had on rare instances where the radio is detected but the communication doesn’t work.  A reset fixes it (usually).  I’m still trying to improve it.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.