updates

Home Forums Autosense General Discussion updates

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff- 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

any updates?

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

I was wondering this the other day.  Right now I’m consumed with my home automation migration to openhab but I still have this on my radar.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

So sorry about the lack of anything the last few months.
    There always seems to be something else that demands my time. Since I moved, I don’t even have my car to work on, and most of the Autosense stuff is still packed away in boxes.

I really don’t want to let this project die, I just don’t have anything setup and running to keep testing on. I think if I had an Android radio in my Jeep, I’d be more prone to keeping updates happening, but I can’t afford one, just like the time issue, more important things are demanding the money.

I did bring my tablets out the other day, and one of them is broken, and the other one I tried to setup for my home automation setup (I’m using Home Assistant). Even if I did unbox everything, I’ve got no room for it.  I went from a 3 bedroom house, where I had an entire room to my office, to a 1 bedroom basement suite with absolutly no extra room. I was hoping to buy a house this spring, but with the money situation that doesn’t look promising either.

I haven’t forggoten about you guys, and I can see from the daily emails that people are still using Autosense, which is great. I just wish I was one of them 🙁

Cheers,

Eric

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I am not using it at the moment.. does not work well with my android solution in my car. I have a MiniDSP so the audio portion and volume control is solved, I need to set up my bench again and see what I can mess with..  Suggest some hardware and OS for me and I might switch, I can search for a touch screen but I am curious more on a good setup..

Home automation , I had used X10 for years.. now I have Smart Things ( mainly for lights) but have a garage door module and also have Blink cameras.. still need to install 2..

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I see that Timur’s kernal for Nexus 7 2013 is free.. I might do that since I have an LTE tablet I rarely use. it could be a nice solution with my MiniDSP..

Need to get my bench back together again

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I haven’t looked at Timur’s kernel for so long. I’ve been hoping to find something better than the tablet, it’s been ok, but never great.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I just realized. Timur’s Kernel I think expects to be master, Auto Sense also needs to be master. I installed Timur’s Kernel and USB Host on my N7 2013. If I could get it to fit nicely (and work nicely) in my car I would, The thought of LTE in an older car would be nice, then I don’t have to hot spot anything. I really like the fit of my android radio now, maybe I just need a dongle..

ah well, I can always change it at some point

that_kid
    Participant

I use Autosense every day as it’s my main interface to things.  Mostly just as an app launcher but I have become very used to how I have things setup, part of the ease comes from using Centrafuse for a number of years.  I’m still using the Nexus 7 but I had to roll back to Android 5 so I could get stereo out of my DAC.  I still have the Odroid and I plan on putting that in this summer.  There are a few quirks I have with the table,t, mainly due to the one usb host port.  As far as home automation I was using Vera for about 5 or 6 years but they are really lagging with things and the stability is shaky.  I’ve been wanting to move to a raspberry pi setup for a while.  So I tried OpenHab2 on a pi and it’s been a steep learning curve but i’m getting there.  I move the Openhab2 install from the pi to an Odroid 2 (I have about 10 of these things now) but I’m still looking into Home Assistant.  I have a pi with Home Assistant on it too, but I haven’t did much with it.  Now that I am comfortable with OpenHab2 I’ll see what Home Assistant has to offer as I see a number of things that interest me lately.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Jeff, which Joying unit do you have? I’m looking at finally purchasing an Android unit, maybe it will help kick me back into getting work done 😉

I’m so unhappy with the stock radio/iPod setup, I need something better.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I have the Joying UL135… NO the UL135N2. mine is still the arm version, not the Atom CPU. mine i the MTCD variation with Android 5 not the MTCB that has 4.4.x

I could not get your board to work with the joying unit. I could use it as a launcher, which would be great, but as soon as I plugged in my ALDL cable it would crash.

I am not sue the Joying is the best either, honestly if some of the features were on the NU3001 I have, it would be the best of both worlds. the screen on the joying is great, couple that with the ODroid, it might be a good DIY set-up.

I forgot that the DAC was not stereo on Android 6. wonder if Timer fixed it in his package

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I just read there are a few DACs that work on 6.0.1 in stereo.. the behringer does not.. but apparently this one does:

<span style=”color: #222222; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>HiFimeDIY Sabre 2016 version (model UAE23)</span>

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

What version of Android is on your NU3001? I would really like to get an Android head unit and get back to work. Plus my stock stereo sucks so much.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

NU3001 ia 4.4.2 unfortunately.. there is a guy on XDa working on porting 6.0 to it, he tried 7 but found a dead end stopping him from that.

Currently on my bench I have my Nu3001, the MJS USB cable and the HDTuner, working well. I find if I use a separate switch to turn the HDTuner on and off, I get better connectivity/ repeat-ability. I suggest if the HDTuner is ‘on’ in software prior to turning off the car, then On a restart if android was asleep, assume the radio is off..

I will reply to the HDTuner thread for the other stuff

• Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

any updates?

that_kid
    Participant

I was wondering this the other day.  Right now I’m consumed with my home automation migration to openhab but I still have this on my radar.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hey guys,

So sorry about the lack of anything the last few months.
    There always seems to be something else that demands my time. Since I moved, I don’t even have my car to work on, and most of the Autosense stuff is still packed away in boxes.

I really don’t want to let this project die, I just don’t have anything setup and running to keep testing on. I think if I had an Android radio in my Jeep, I’d be more prone to keeping updates happening, but I can’t afford one, just like the time issue, more important things are demanding the money.

I did bring my tablets out the other day, and one of them is broken, and the other one I tried to setup for my home automation setup (I’m using Home Assistant). Even if I did unbox everything, I’ve got no room for it.  I went from a 3 bedroom house, where I had an entire room to my office, to a 1 bedroom basement suite with absolutly no extra room. I was hoping to buy a house this spring, but with the money situation that doesn’t look promising either.

I haven’t forggoten about you guys, and I can see from the daily emails that people are still using Autosense, which is great. I just wish I was one of them 🙁

Cheers,

Eric

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I am not using it at the moment.. does not work well with my android solution in my car. I have a MiniDSP so the audio portion and volume control is solved, I need to set up my bench again and see what I can mess with..  Suggest some hardware and OS for me and I might switch, I can search for a touch screen but I am curious more on a good setup..

Home automation , I had used X10 for years.. now I have Smart Things ( mainly for lights) but have a garage door module and also have Blink cameras.. still need to install 2..

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I see that Timur’s kernal for Nexus 7 2013 is free.. I might do that since I have an LTE tablet I rarely use. it could be a nice solution with my MiniDSP..

Need to get my bench back together again

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I haven’t looked at Timur’s kernel for so long. I’ve been hoping to find something better than the tablet, it’s been ok, but never great.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I just realized. Timur’s Kernel I think expects to be master, Auto Sense also needs to be master. I installed Timur’s Kernel and USB Host on my N7 2013. If I could get it to fit nicely (and work nicely) in my car I would, The thought of LTE in an older car would be nice, then I don’t have to hot spot anything. I really like the fit of my android radio now, maybe I just need a dongle..

ah well, I can always change it at some point

that_kid
    Participant

I use Autosense every day as it’s my main interface to things.  Mostly just as an app launcher but I have become very used to how I have things setup, part of the ease comes from using Centrafuse for a number of years.  I’m still using the Nexus 7 but I had to roll back to Android 5 so I could get stereo out of my DAC.  I still have the Odroid and I plan on putting that in this summer.  There are a few quirks I have with the table,t, mainly due to the one usb host port.  As far as home automation I was using Vera for about 5 or 6 years but they are really lagging with things and the stability is shaky.  I’ve been wanting to move to a raspberry pi setup for a while.  So I tried OpenHab2 on a pi and it’s been a steep learning curve but i’m getting there.  I move the Openhab2 install from the pi to an Odroid 2 (I have about 10 of these things now) but I’m still looking into Home Assistant.  I have a pi with Home Assistant on it too, but I haven’t did much with it.  Now that I am comfortable with OpenHab2 I’ll see what Home Assistant has to offer as I see a number of things that interest me lately.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Jeff, which Joying unit do you have? I’m looking at finally purchasing an Android unit, maybe it will help kick me back into getting work done 😉

I’m so unhappy with the stock radio/iPod setup, I need something better.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I have the Joying UL135… NO the UL135N2. mine is still the arm version, not the Atom CPU. mine i the MTCD variation with Android 5 not the MTCB that has 4.4.x

I could not get your board to work with the joying unit. I could use it as a launcher, which would be great, but as soon as I plugged in my ALDL cable it would crash.

I am not sue the Joying is the best either, honestly if some of the features were on the NU3001 I have, it would be the best of both worlds. the screen on the joying is great, couple that with the ODroid, it might be a good DIY set-up.

I forgot that the DAC was not stereo on Android 6. wonder if Timer fixed it in his package

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I just read there are a few DACs that work on 6.0.1 in stereo.. the behringer does not.. but apparently this one does:

<span style=”color: #222222; font-family: verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 14px;”>HiFimeDIY Sabre 2016 version (model UAE23)</span>

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

What version of Android is on your NU3001? I would really like to get an Android head unit and get back to work. Plus my stock stereo sucks so much.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

NU3001 ia 4.4.2 unfortunately.. there is a guy on XDa working on porting 6.0 to it, he tried 7 but found a dead end stopping him from that.

Currently on my bench I have my Nu3001, the MJS USB cable and the HDTuner, working well. I find if I use a separate switch to turn the HDTuner on and off, I get better connectivity/ repeat-ability. I suggest if the HDTuner is ‘on’ in software prior to turning off the car, then On a restart if android was asleep, assume the radio is off..

I will reply to the HDTuner thread for the other stuff

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.