Usb gps

Home Forums Hardware UDOO Usb gps

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric Eric 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of idorel77
    idorel77
    Participant

Hi,
    i have a usb gps and working only with ”You are here gps” an every time i have to open app and click connect.

Do you know how to find my gps and set corectly , and working without this app.

A have android 4.4.2.

On Odroid forum i found this instruction:
    I have connected my GPS by USBSerial and changed only two settings in build.prop:
    Code: Select all

ro.kernel.android.gps=/dev/ttyACM0
    ro.kernel.android.gps.speed=115200

But i cant find my gps , how is connected.

Thanks a lot.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

USB GPS units use the mock location provider, which was designed for testing and development, but has been used to provide real data.
    I don’t know of any way to use a USB unit without a helper program of some sort, in your case it’s “You are here GP

idorel77
    Participant

Ok, Thanks Eric.

I start to hate android :).
    It’s so hard to add or change something …. 🙁
    And is hard to find information also..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

There is a LOT to learn when using it as more than just a phone or tablet. Lots of things in the developer docs which can be overwhelming.
    It’s a great platform and offers a lot of potential but also has a lot of convoluted documentation to study through

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

You might be able to fix your issue with tasker, but I’m not sure. I don’t really know a lot about tasker, just that it can do a lot of cool things.

idorel77
    Participant

Thanks Eric, i will try.

idorel77
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    today i was playng with your app and gps , and unfortunately when i start autosense automaticaly stop app You are here gps. 🙁
    So i can’t use gps even with that

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Maybe you can find another program that does the same thing but uses a service.
    I don’t have a USB GPS unit to test with at the moment. I’d like to offer it as a supported option, but without hardware I can’t do much about it.

idorel77
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    i found a solution to use usb gps.
    http://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/usb-gps-working.2522/

Have fun!
    P.S. if you use sata, and if you need, i can share my img file.

Now i’m trying to add 3g dongle.
    Do you have any ideea how to?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Awesome. I haven’t gotten to the GPS yet, but I still think I’ll be able to use the Mock Location Provider and the Arduino to provide real GPS data.
    I don’t know if you’ve read about the shield I’m designing, but an option that it’s got is a GPS receiver intended for devices without GPS, like our UDOO boards.

• Author
    idorel77
    Participant

Hi,
    i have a usb gps and working only with ”You are here gps” an every time i have to open app and click connect.

Do you know how to find my gps and set corectly , and working without this app.

A have android 4.4.2.

On Odroid forum i found this instruction:
    I have connected my GPS by USBSerial and changed only two settings in build.prop:
    Code: Select all

ro.kernel.android.gps=/dev/ttyACM0
    ro.kernel.android.gps.speed=115200

But i cant find my gps , how is connected.

Thanks a lot.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

USB GPS units use the mock location provider, which was designed for testing and development, but has been used to provide real data.
    I don’t know of any way to use a USB unit without a helper program of some sort, in your case it’s “You are here GP

idorel77
    Participant

Ok, Thanks Eric.

I start to hate android :).
    It’s so hard to add or change something …. 🙁
    And is hard to find information also..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

There is a LOT to learn when using it as more than just a phone or tablet. Lots of things in the developer docs which can be overwhelming.
    It’s a great platform and offers a lot of potential but also has a lot of convoluted documentation to study through

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

You might be able to fix your issue with tasker, but I’m not sure. I don’t really know a lot about tasker, just that it can do a lot of cool things.

idorel77
    Participant

Thanks Eric, i will try.

idorel77
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    today i was playng with your app and gps , and unfortunately when i start autosense automaticaly stop app You are here gps. 🙁
    So i can’t use gps even with that

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Maybe you can find another program that does the same thing but uses a service.
    I don’t have a USB GPS unit to test with at the moment. I’d like to offer it as a supported option, but without hardware I can’t do much about it.

idorel77
    Participant

Hi Eric,
    i found a solution to use usb gps.
    http://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/usb-gps-working.2522/

Have fun!
    P.S. if you use sata, and if you need, i can share my img file.

Now i’m trying to add 3g dongle.
    Do you have any ideea how to?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Awesome. I haven’t gotten to the GPS yet, but I still think I’ll be able to use the Mock Location Provider and the Arduino to provide real GPS data.
    I don’t know if you’ve read about the shield I’m designing, but an option that it’s got is a GPS receiver intended for devices without GPS, like our UDOO boards.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.