Volume Control

Home Forums Hardware AutoSense Shield Volume Control

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric Eric 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So today I played with using the digital potentiometer for the volume control and I’m happy with the results. There was very little interference of any kind and I’m sure what little may have been there will disappear once it’s off the breadboard and onto a real PCB.

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

Which digital pot are you using? Is it a through hole or smd? I have an smd one that works great with my minidsp unit and the size of the chip itself is crazy small.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve got a MCP4241. It’s a two channel pot so I can do left and right independently. Current’y I’ve got a through hole because I will need to hand solder the boards at the moment. If the day ever comes when I can afford a reflow oven and switch to SMD all the parts I’ve used are available in SMD too.

that_kid
    Participant

I have the single channel version of that for my dsp unit. I went through another one before that one and switched it out for a model that had 255 steps as the other had 127. In the end it didn’t make much of a difference but I do have one with an eprom that I want to try out. Currently I have mine setup to read the current value after power up and reduce it to a good level, when the car is turned off it also checks and if the volume was above a certain value it will set it to a lower one. That way I won’t give anyone a heart attack when getting in the car.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Nice. I can do the volume checking stuff on the Android and send the commands down to the chip right as it starts. Also 127 steps is many more than Android has built in, it’s what, 10… not enough.

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So today I played with using the digital potentiometer for the volume control and I’m happy with the results. There was very little interference of any kind and I’m sure what little may have been there will disappear once it’s off the breadboard and onto a real PCB.

that_kid
    Participant

Which digital pot are you using? Is it a through hole or smd? I have an smd one that works great with my minidsp unit and the size of the chip itself is crazy small.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve got a MCP4241. It’s a two channel pot so I can do left and right independently. Current’y I’ve got a through hole because I will need to hand solder the boards at the moment. If the day ever comes when I can afford a reflow oven and switch to SMD all the parts I’ve used are available in SMD too.

that_kid
    Participant

I have the single channel version of that for my dsp unit. I went through another one before that one and switched it out for a model that had 255 steps as the other had 127. In the end it didn’t make much of a difference but I do have one with an eprom that I want to try out. Currently I have mine setup to read the current value after power up and reduce it to a good level, when the car is turned off it also checks and if the volume was above a certain value it will set it to a lower one. That way I won’t give anyone a heart attack when getting in the car.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Nice. I can do the volume checking stuff on the Android and send the commands down to the chip right as it starts. Also 127 steps is many more than Android has built in, it’s what, 10… not enough.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.