Built My Shield

Home Forums Hardware AutoSense Shield Built My Shield

This topic contains 136 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff- 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Okay,

I think I have everything squared away now and ready to plug it into my Android. I have a few questions:

1) The 12v going in the Shield will power the DUE, Correct?

2) if the above is correct, then I use a Y cable from the tablet to power and then to a Standard USB to Micro (Native connection).  or do I still need the Y cable on the Arduino end?

I think that is it, once I confirm how the arduino is powered I will test it with my tablet first then on to the car

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Nice!

Yes the 12v coming into the shield will power the Due.  It will only be powered when the ACC line has power, otherwise the shield will be in standby mode, and the Due will be off.

If your tablet can get enough power without the Y adapter don’t use it.  The Due will provide power to the Android.  But with your stereo unit, it get’s it’s own power from the car correct?  The USB is really just data in your case.

Once I get the input and outputs all finished (SOOO much code :S) I’d suggest you hook the stereo line up to one of the shields outputs.  Then you’ll be able to configure the stereo to stay on even when the accessory line is turned off.  The timeout is configurable within AutoSense.  You could also configure things so when the door opens the stereo and Due all turn off.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Correct in the car I have no issues. I will need the USB OTG to get one of the ports to be standard. Then not use the Y adapter with the tablet for testing

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah, you’ll need an OTG adapter, but you won’t need a Y adapter.  You can just let the tablet run on battery for testing.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Okay,

Using the Nightly Android and Arduino Builds

Car radio detects DUE.. HD Radio not working. I had the tuning buttons working once.. but nothing else worked. (I confirmed the HD tuner works with OEM controller)

I cannot get my Nexus 7 2013 or my Nexus 7 2012 to detect the DUE. One has Lollipop, one has Jellybean. I cannot find the mass storage select on either ( my car radio has the mass storage option selected) and it found the DUE..

I would really like to find out why the HD tuner does not work.. and get my tablets to work for troubleshooting.. the Jellybean tablet is rooted

PCB

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

For those of you who aren’t Jeff, we talked in private to try and fix this.  Turns our there was a loose wire in the HD Radio cable.  Once that was fixed then things (mostly) started working.  At this point in time the shield stuff is still being worked on very aggressively, and that includes the HD Radio.

I spent tonight working on the UI.  I’ve got the sidebar buttons setup to be presets.  Just long click when you’re tuned to the station and it saves it.  Tomorrow I plan on doing what I can to improve the tune/seek feedback.  Currently what’s displayed is fed back from the HD Radio.  So when you’re seeking, the radio sends nothing, so the display doesn’t update.

I also plan on doing what I can to make the Arduino connect more reliably.  One little tip, in the top notification bar (within AutoSense) if you have a rooted device and you click on the work Arduino under the little icon, the USB service will restart and should reconnect the Arduino.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yes, it is working, I had a loose wire.. I am quite impressed with the Shield.. I know I got it early and there is a ton of things that need to be worked on.

Eric,

Is there anything else i can try on the Shield to confirm it is working completely? I want to be sure I did not cook/burn/fry anything when I built it.

Suggestion for the seeking/scanning, when the button is pressed, display  ‘Seek’/’Tuning’ then when you get the station response, hide the text. I think just some simple indicator would help, you can always refine it later.. I need to get a better (linear power supply) and then connect it in the car to the radio to see if everything works.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

For the shield itself, there isn’t much to break that wouldn’t be pretty obvious.  The EEPROM and ATTiny would be the two major components.

So for the ATTiny, the most basic test would be to use the Acc line.  Provide power to the 12v line, the ATTiny should have 3.3 volts on it’s power pin.  Then momentarily provide power on the accessory line.  The ATTiny should sense this and turn the Arduino on, and it should stay on for 60 seconds, then turn off.  This time is configurable within AutoSense if you want longer or shorter.

Ohhhh, since I didn’t configure your shield, you’ll need to set some toggles in the settings!!

With everything connected, go to Settings/Arduino/Setup Shield/Shield Capabilities.  Click the “I Understand” toggle.  Then in the list that follows make sure to enable “HD Radio”, “Input/Output” and “Temperature Sensors”.

That will save the capabilities into the EEPROM and setup the auto-configuration.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yeah I still cannot get to those settings. I cannot could on my car radio. I will have to connect it there again

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That’s weird.  Those settings are only locked when an Arduino isn’t detected.  As soon as it’s connected they are supposed to unlock and be available…

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

It shows no hardware when not connected.

I will check it again

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

If you’ve gotten the HD radio to work, then it should show up.  Both of those functions rely on the Arduino connection.  If the connection isn’t established then they’ll both fail.

If you go into the Android settings and choose Apps, find AutoSense and click Clear Defaults.  Try reconnecting your Arduino, but don’t check the “Do by Default” box.  That prompt should popup every time the Arduino is connected.  If not there might be another issue lurking somewhere.

PS, I’ve also go presets working.  Long press to save the current station to the selected button.  More to come.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’m going to push a new build tonight.

When you open the HD Radio it now does a couple of things.  If the shield isn’t detected OR if the HD Radio is turned off as a capability, the radio fragment won’t open, but you will get a popup message saying the radio wasn’t detected.  If it is detected, it will power cycle when first opened.  You should hear the relay click on and off.

Preset stations.  Tune the radio to your desired station (I haven’t fixed the scanning UI yet.. Go down first, then up or down to your desired station, this will reset the radio to the proper frequency… I don’t know why it does to the even numbers, it shouldn’t).  Once on the station long click one of the 6 side buttons and that station will be saved as a preset.  Clicking the preset however doesn’t work yet.  That’s next.

Just thought I’d share tonights progress.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Looking forward to it.  Iam goping to pick up a linear ppwer supply today as well

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

OKay.. I have not downloaded your nightly yet ( this was on the Nov 26th Nightly)

With my tablet..

• I can get to Shield Setup (Tried multiple times)
    • HD Tuner controls will tune to stations, But I think there is a command missing somewhere. it does not activate the audio out of the Tuner. If I use the OEM controller once the power is on, I hear audio, I don’t connected to the shield/Android.
    • HD Functions were tested with 2 tuners and I got the same result

I did get a new power supply but I think it is a Switch mode, so I get interference

I will try the new version in a short bit

• Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Okay,

I think I have everything squared away now and ready to plug it into my Android. I have a few questions:

1) The 12v going in the Shield will power the DUE, Correct?

2) if the above is correct, then I use a Y cable from the tablet to power and then to a Standard USB to Micro (Native connection).  or do I still need the Y cable on the Arduino end?

I think that is it, once I confirm how the arduino is powered I will test it with my tablet first then on to the car

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Nice!

Yes the 12v coming into the shield will power the Due.  It will only be powered when the ACC line has power, otherwise the shield will be in standby mode, and the Due will be off.

If your tablet can get enough power without the Y adapter don’t use it.  The Due will provide power to the Android.  But with your stereo unit, it get’s it’s own power from the car correct?  The USB is really just data in your case.

Once I get the input and outputs all finished (SOOO much code :S) I’d suggest you hook the stereo line up to one of the shields outputs.  Then you’ll be able to configure the stereo to stay on even when the accessory line is turned off.  The timeout is configurable within AutoSense.  You could also configure things so when the door opens the stereo and Due all turn off.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Correct in the car I have no issues. I will need the USB OTG to get one of the ports to be standard. Then not use the Y adapter with the tablet for testing

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah, you’ll need an OTG adapter, but you won’t need a Y adapter.  You can just let the tablet run on battery for testing.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Okay,

Using the Nightly Android and Arduino Builds

Car radio detects DUE.. HD Radio not working. I had the tuning buttons working once.. but nothing else worked. (I confirmed the HD tuner works with OEM controller)

I cannot get my Nexus 7 2013 or my Nexus 7 2012 to detect the DUE. One has Lollipop, one has Jellybean. I cannot find the mass storage select on either ( my car radio has the mass storage option selected) and it found the DUE..

I would really like to find out why the HD tuner does not work.. and get my tablets to work for troubleshooting.. the Jellybean tablet is rooted

PCB

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

For those of you who aren’t Jeff, we talked in private to try and fix this.  Turns our there was a loose wire in the HD Radio cable.  Once that was fixed then things (mostly) started working.  At this point in time the shield stuff is still being worked on very aggressively, and that includes the HD Radio.

I spent tonight working on the UI.  I’ve got the sidebar buttons setup to be presets.  Just long click when you’re tuned to the station and it saves it.  Tomorrow I plan on doing what I can to improve the tune/seek feedback.  Currently what’s displayed is fed back from the HD Radio.  So when you’re seeking, the radio sends nothing, so the display doesn’t update.

I also plan on doing what I can to make the Arduino connect more reliably.  One little tip, in the top notification bar (within AutoSense) if you have a rooted device and you click on the work Arduino under the little icon, the USB service will restart and should reconnect the Arduino.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yes, it is working, I had a loose wire.. I am quite impressed with the Shield.. I know I got it early and there is a ton of things that need to be worked on.

Eric,

Is there anything else i can try on the Shield to confirm it is working completely? I want to be sure I did not cook/burn/fry anything when I built it.

Suggestion for the seeking/scanning, when the button is pressed, display  ‘Seek’/’Tuning’ then when you get the station response, hide the text. I think just some simple indicator would help, you can always refine it later.. I need to get a better (linear power supply) and then connect it in the car to the radio to see if everything works.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

For the shield itself, there isn’t much to break that wouldn’t be pretty obvious.  The EEPROM and ATTiny would be the two major components.

So for the ATTiny, the most basic test would be to use the Acc line.  Provide power to the 12v line, the ATTiny should have 3.3 volts on it’s power pin.  Then momentarily provide power on the accessory line.  The ATTiny should sense this and turn the Arduino on, and it should stay on for 60 seconds, then turn off.  This time is configurable within AutoSense if you want longer or shorter.

Ohhhh, since I didn’t configure your shield, you’ll need to set some toggles in the settings!!

With everything connected, go to Settings/Arduino/Setup Shield/Shield Capabilities.  Click the “I Understand” toggle.  Then in the list that follows make sure to enable “HD Radio”, “Input/Output” and “Temperature Sensors”.

That will save the capabilities into the EEPROM and setup the auto-configuration.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yeah I still cannot get to those settings. I cannot could on my car radio. I will have to connect it there again

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That’s weird.  Those settings are only locked when an Arduino isn’t detected.  As soon as it’s connected they are supposed to unlock and be available…

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

It shows no hardware when not connected.

I will check it again

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

If you’ve gotten the HD radio to work, then it should show up.  Both of those functions rely on the Arduino connection.  If the connection isn’t established then they’ll both fail.

If you go into the Android settings and choose Apps, find AutoSense and click Clear Defaults.  Try reconnecting your Arduino, but don’t check the “Do by Default” box.  That prompt should popup every time the Arduino is connected.  If not there might be another issue lurking somewhere.

PS, I’ve also go presets working.  Long press to save the current station to the selected button.  More to come.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’m going to push a new build tonight.

When you open the HD Radio it now does a couple of things.  If the shield isn’t detected OR if the HD Radio is turned off as a capability, the radio fragment won’t open, but you will get a popup message saying the radio wasn’t detected.  If it is detected, it will power cycle when first opened.  You should hear the relay click on and off.

Preset stations.  Tune the radio to your desired station (I haven’t fixed the scanning UI yet.. Go down first, then up or down to your desired station, this will reset the radio to the proper frequency… I don’t know why it does to the even numbers, it shouldn’t).  Once on the station long click one of the 6 side buttons and that station will be saved as a preset.  Clicking the preset however doesn’t work yet.  That’s next.

Just thought I’d share tonights progress.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Looking forward to it.  Iam goping to pick up a linear ppwer supply today as well

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

OKay.. I have not downloaded your nightly yet ( this was on the Nov 26th Nightly)

With my tablet..

• I can get to Shield Setup (Tried multiple times)
    • HD Tuner controls will tune to stations, But I think there is a command missing somewhere. it does not activate the audio out of the Tuner. If I use the OEM controller once the power is on, I hear audio, I don’t connected to the shield/Android.
    • HD Functions were tested with 2 tuners and I got the same result

I did get a new power supply but I think it is a Switch mode, so I get interference

I will try the new version in a short bit

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.