Built My Shield

Home Forums Hardware AutoSense Shield Built My Shield

This topic contains 136 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff- 2 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

2 quick things

Yes, when I am on 90.1HD3 next Seek + will be the next Analog Station

Whethe I seek up or down, with a no so good signal I will go from 90.1 to 106.7 and see no data changing. I will keep playing with it though.. if the HD tuner cable has issues still that would explain it.

Treble and Bass, maybe those just don’t work.. they are not options on the Tuner controller ( neither is the volume either though)

Also I think the Volume control as you control it is linear.. make the slide Log if you can, I think that will work better. then add a spot for a default start volume.. each system might be different

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I will keep playing with the seeking.  It depends on the radio being connected right now, I may be able to remove that requirement.

Treble and Bass are in the command set.  If it turns out they do nothing I’ll remove them.

From my findings (and verified elsewhere) the radio offers a range of 0-90 for volume, bass, and treble.  Right now when you adjust the sliders that will be the volume set when the radio powers up.  The slider directly adjusts the default start volume.

I’m not sure how I would do log vs linear… It’s another area I’m not very familiar with.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yes the Slider directly effects the volume, but I think if you applied a log scale tot he slider, the output will not be linear and the volume will gradually increase, currently it jumps in level around the middle. I will see if I can dig up the formula it will give better slide control

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Cool.  I understand the want/need for it, but I’ve forgotten all my math regarding the log scale.

The slider range is 0-90, and the radio is also 0-90, both of course are linear.  I don’t know if I can apply a log to a slider or not.

Also, I went and bought a proper antenna for my radio, and I still can’t get any HD stations to tune in 🙁

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I changed the seeking, it works much better.  I also did what I hope shows HD for signal strength.  You can’t change to HD stations yet, but if it auto tunes to HD it may show… I don’t know.  Still playing with it.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Updated Android, I did not see another arduino so I assume the one I did a couple days ago is still good.. That Said

1) yes, scanning shows the stations numbers changing

2) I no longer see the Signal meter,at all

3) I see no HD indicator either

4) AM no longer works, it will not switch from FM to AM, when I press AM/FM, ‘FM’ is displayed for the station, if I tune up or down, it stays on FM

Treble/Bass do something I can hear a difference.. not sure what they do

Volume seems to come in around 50, but using headphones. I did however get my Android out of the dash ( I need to add an antenna wire for it an I can mount the HD Tuner in the car (the Second one I have)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

There is a new Arduino… D’oh, that should be what’s causing the stuff to not work.  I will upload it.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

okay.. that helps.. LOL

I don’t see an HD display and I know the one station is HD, as it is nice and clear..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

OK. I’m just playing with what I hope is the right code.  Obviously it’s not.  I will keep trying.  This may be a game of try and fail and hope for the best 😉

On the other hand, if I write that Arduino program to capture all the signals and you solder those wires it would be much easier.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I can do that. Just let me know

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Ok, I’ll start coming up with something.  Are you using Windows, Mac or Linux?

I’ll need to write the signals to a file so I can examine them.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I have access to: win 7 and win10

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro with Lion.

macbook would be most convenient but I would need some guidance for setting it all up on the mac

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Sounds good.

I also use OSX, so guidance will be easy to provide.

At least now I can decide how I want to do this.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Here is the sketch.

First an important note.  ONLY use a 3.3 volt board like your Due, if you use a 5 volt board like your Uno, you will FRY your radio.

You’ll need to rename the sketch to radio.ino, or if you can’t do that, open the file and copy it into the Arduino IDE.

1. Take apart your radio and remove the PCB from the case completely
    2. On the bottom there are 3 pads we need, TX, RX and GND.  Thankfully they are labeled.  Solder a length of wire to each pad.
    3. The GND wire goes to Arduino ground, the TX to pin 15 (RX3) and RX to pin 17 (RX2)
    4. Once the wiring is complete and the sketch is uploaded, open the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE and set the baud to 115200.  If the radio is on, you’ll see lots of data start scrolling by.
    5. Once that is working, using the stock controller, tune to an analog station.
    6. After it’s tuned, seek up to an HD station, it should start analog and switch to HD.
    7. When that is done, tune up to a sub station and wait a few seconds
    8. Repeat until all sub stations are done and then tune to next analog
    9. Copy all of the data from the serial monitor into a text file and send it over
    10. Profit???

That should get me the data I need.  In case you’re curious, I’ve set the Arduino to monitor both the receive and transmit lines in the radio.  It simply reads the data on the wire and spits it out to the screen.  Since I know all commands start with 0xA4, when that character is detected, it starts a new line, otherwise it prints the remaining data on the same line. Each line is one full radio command.  The radio works by sending a command, and it sends a reply, so you’ll see a TX message followed by an RX message

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Okay, I need to get a 3.3v Arduino.. But couldn’t I just use the 3.3v ftdi chip that spark fun Sells and use a Hyperterminal window?

Or tap off the transport cable and use it that way

Either way I need to order a couple parts..

• Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

2 quick things

Yes, when I am on 90.1HD3 next Seek + will be the next Analog Station

Whethe I seek up or down, with a no so good signal I will go from 90.1 to 106.7 and see no data changing. I will keep playing with it though.. if the HD tuner cable has issues still that would explain it.

Treble and Bass, maybe those just don’t work.. they are not options on the Tuner controller ( neither is the volume either though)

Also I think the Volume control as you control it is linear.. make the slide Log if you can, I think that will work better. then add a spot for a default start volume.. each system might be different

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I will keep playing with the seeking.  It depends on the radio being connected right now, I may be able to remove that requirement.

Treble and Bass are in the command set.  If it turns out they do nothing I’ll remove them.

From my findings (and verified elsewhere) the radio offers a range of 0-90 for volume, bass, and treble.  Right now when you adjust the sliders that will be the volume set when the radio powers up.  The slider directly adjusts the default start volume.

I’m not sure how I would do log vs linear… It’s another area I’m not very familiar with.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yes the Slider directly effects the volume, but I think if you applied a log scale tot he slider, the output will not be linear and the volume will gradually increase, currently it jumps in level around the middle. I will see if I can dig up the formula it will give better slide control

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Cool.  I understand the want/need for it, but I’ve forgotten all my math regarding the log scale.

The slider range is 0-90, and the radio is also 0-90, both of course are linear.  I don’t know if I can apply a log to a slider or not.

Also, I went and bought a proper antenna for my radio, and I still can’t get any HD stations to tune in 🙁

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I changed the seeking, it works much better.  I also did what I hope shows HD for signal strength.  You can’t change to HD stations yet, but if it auto tunes to HD it may show… I don’t know.  Still playing with it.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Updated Android, I did not see another arduino so I assume the one I did a couple days ago is still good.. That Said

1) yes, scanning shows the stations numbers changing

2) I no longer see the Signal meter,at all

3) I see no HD indicator either

4) AM no longer works, it will not switch from FM to AM, when I press AM/FM, ‘FM’ is displayed for the station, if I tune up or down, it stays on FM

Treble/Bass do something I can hear a difference.. not sure what they do

Volume seems to come in around 50, but using headphones. I did however get my Android out of the dash ( I need to add an antenna wire for it an I can mount the HD Tuner in the car (the Second one I have)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

There is a new Arduino… D’oh, that should be what’s causing the stuff to not work.  I will upload it.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

okay.. that helps.. LOL

I don’t see an HD display and I know the one station is HD, as it is nice and clear..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

OK. I’m just playing with what I hope is the right code.  Obviously it’s not.  I will keep trying.  This may be a game of try and fail and hope for the best 😉

On the other hand, if I write that Arduino program to capture all the signals and you solder those wires it would be much easier.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I can do that. Just let me know

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Ok, I’ll start coming up with something.  Are you using Windows, Mac or Linux?

I’ll need to write the signals to a file so I can examine them.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I have access to: win 7 and win10

I have a 2007 MacBook Pro with Lion.

macbook would be most convenient but I would need some guidance for setting it all up on the mac

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Sounds good.

I also use OSX, so guidance will be easy to provide.

At least now I can decide how I want to do this.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Here is the sketch.

First an important note.  ONLY use a 3.3 volt board like your Due, if you use a 5 volt board like your Uno, you will FRY your radio.

You’ll need to rename the sketch to radio.ino, or if you can’t do that, open the file and copy it into the Arduino IDE.

1. Take apart your radio and remove the PCB from the case completely
    2. On the bottom there are 3 pads we need, TX, RX and GND.  Thankfully they are labeled.  Solder a length of wire to each pad.
    3. The GND wire goes to Arduino ground, the TX to pin 15 (RX3) and RX to pin 17 (RX2)
    4. Once the wiring is complete and the sketch is uploaded, open the serial monitor in the Arduino IDE and set the baud to 115200.  If the radio is on, you’ll see lots of data start scrolling by.
    5. Once that is working, using the stock controller, tune to an analog station.
    6. After it’s tuned, seek up to an HD station, it should start analog and switch to HD.
    7. When that is done, tune up to a sub station and wait a few seconds
    8. Repeat until all sub stations are done and then tune to next analog
    9. Copy all of the data from the serial monitor into a text file and send it over
    10. Profit???

That should get me the data I need.  In case you’re curious, I’ve set the Arduino to monitor both the receive and transmit lines in the radio.  It simply reads the data on the wire and spits it out to the screen.  Since I know all commands start with 0xA4, when that character is detected, it starts a new line, otherwise it prints the remaining data on the same line. Each line is one full radio command.  The radio works by sending a command, and it sends a reply, so you’ll see a TX message followed by an RX message

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Okay, I need to get a 3.3v Arduino.. But couldn’t I just use the 3.3v ftdi chip that spark fun Sells and use a Hyperterminal window?

Or tap off the transport cable and use it that way

Either way I need to order a couple parts..

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 137 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.