Future hardware ideas

Home Forums Hardware Other Future hardware ideas

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff- 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hey guys, so Marshmallow was release today, and sadly my old Nexus 7 isn’t on the list of devices to get the update. So I’m now stuck trying to figure out what to do. For now and the next while I’ll keep the tablet and keep developing like I have been, but in order to stay fresh and relevant I’ll need to make a change. I also really like the idea of using something like a Pioneer Appradio. It would be much easier for everybody to have a piece of hardware that works as fully as possible with as little fuss as possible.

If people are going to be installing a tablet you need to worry about power, making a support for it, amps and stuff. For the hackers it’s fun, but not everybody wants to go that route.

I don’t know all the radios that run Android, and personally don’t have one, but if you have any thoughts or ideas on which I should look into that would be great. I’d ideally like to find a known brand that will hopefully keep going down the Android path to keep a nice flow of hardware. Unfortunately I can’t afford to buy one of the radios right now, let alone a few different ones to test compatibility with, so I’m really hoping for your help.

My current devices are a 2012 Nexus 7 with Android 5.1 and a UDOO with 4.2.2 and neither of them really work all that well.

Thoughts?

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I currently have my Newsmy NU3001, which I think is better than the Appradio. i have an Appradio 2 as well, sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I have used the appradio with a Android stick and an app that allows for touch access to the radio. I have run into issues with it on start up and the fact that my Android stick has no memory for the time/date it always resets.

My newsmy is 4.2.2 and there has to be a point at which the updates slow down a bit. I can see why there is not a huge market for the a full android or apple automotive solution due to the update roll out.

I think a decent Android stick that can get the time date (maybe from the gps in the DUE) would probably work out pretty good. The resolution of your screen might need to change for the appradio. I would be willing to give some of it a try with my appradio set-up. Like I said I have most everything to make it work and I would if the clock could be updated without internet

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve never used any of the Android radios before, so I really don’t know the quirks like the time problem. But having something like GPS would allow for a way to set the clock, assuming the Android portion is rooted. If your newsmy only supports 4.2.2 that’s getting pretty old. That is the current minimum sdk I’ve got set, and occasionally I’m running into issues with wanting a newer version.

Resolution is one of the issues I’m thinking about. If I had a “Supported” device, like maybe the Newsmy, then things would be tailored for that screen. I’d like to offer layouts for different screens too, like portrait and 10″ tablets.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Ooops sorry both newsmy and Stick are 4.4 not 4.2.2. Newsmy has no issue with clock.. Android stick does (both are rooted)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

4.4 is much better. I looked at the newsmy and the community is quite active in developing for it. That looks pretty promising.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yes I would say that the newsmy is a good option. App radio with a rooted android needs to have HDMI and bluetooth to work.. Bluetooth handles the touch

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

Here’s what I’m working on and maybe you can get some hardware Ideas from it.

I’m kinda restoring (fixing up, customizing, whatever you want to call it) a 1985 GM car with a 1.5 din radio. There’s not really any options out there these day’s for a decent 1.5 din radio. I figured since I mainly listen to things over the internet why not try to build something android based. Through searching on the net I came across autosense.

The computer in the car is being upgraded to an obd2 2006 ecm. With the upgrade I have access to the can bus. 🙂

With Arduino I’m thinking things like a touchscreen start button. Also, Bluetooth control of who knows what.

From rough dimension it looks like I will be using a 6.5″ display and will use an android stick to run it.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

dmh, your plans seem to be along the same lines as myself. Do you have an idea of which Android stick you want to use?

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

More AppRadio info ( Based off of AppRadio2). I have the AR2 and a MK809III Androdi stick with 4.4. it connects to power and an hdmi cable to the AR2. HDMI is how the audio transfers from the stick to the radio output. It uses Bluetooth with AppRadio Unchained Reloaded for touch commands. It works decent. I think if you had a stick with a small battery to keep time/date it would be better or a gps injection for time date to android. For the full control of android and ARUr I believe it has to be a rooted device. Not sure how you can get the audio from your board into the AppRadio.. I had devised a way to do it with the HDTuner using the iPod input (non-lightning connector). I need to get a bench supply and I can set it back up again if needed to test out stuff, it may or not work well with the DUe though

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hmmm, thanks Jeff.
    If you can use the iPod input then it should work. I see the AppRadio 4 is out now, I wonder how it compares to your 2.

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

“dmh, your plans seem to be along the same lines as myself. Do you have an idea of which Android stick you want to use?”

Right now I have a MK802IIIs running 4.2.2 that I’ve been playing with. (still waiting on parts for the Arduino side)

I’m not an Android (or Arduino) expert but my thinking is, if I need to upgrade later I can just plug in a newer stick.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

That is one nice thing about the AppRadio, swap sticks to upgrade. no changing headunits or anything. the challenge I found was getting touch to always work first time on boot up, Especially with a phone connected hands free.

The AppRadio 4 seems to be more geared to the iPhone.. not sure about Android connections for a stick. I know they started using mirrorlink..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

From my limited knowledge of what’s available, something like the newsmy seems best. It runs Android without having to add anything to it. That’s what I’d like. I’m just hoping they release new products and updates to keep up.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I keep getting notifications for this post over 100 so far

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Oh my. I will see what I can do. Sorry about that. Are they all for this post?

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hey guys, so Marshmallow was release today, and sadly my old Nexus 7 isn’t on the list of devices to get the update. So I’m now stuck trying to figure out what to do. For now and the next while I’ll keep the tablet and keep developing like I have been, but in order to stay fresh and relevant I’ll need to make a change. I also really like the idea of using something like a Pioneer Appradio. It would be much easier for everybody to have a piece of hardware that works as fully as possible with as little fuss as possible.

If people are going to be installing a tablet you need to worry about power, making a support for it, amps and stuff. For the hackers it’s fun, but not everybody wants to go that route.

I don’t know all the radios that run Android, and personally don’t have one, but if you have any thoughts or ideas on which I should look into that would be great. I’d ideally like to find a known brand that will hopefully keep going down the Android path to keep a nice flow of hardware. Unfortunately I can’t afford to buy one of the radios right now, let alone a few different ones to test compatibility with, so I’m really hoping for your help.

My current devices are a 2012 Nexus 7 with Android 5.1 and a UDOO with 4.2.2 and neither of them really work all that well.

Thoughts?

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I currently have my Newsmy NU3001, which I think is better than the Appradio. i have an Appradio 2 as well, sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I have used the appradio with a Android stick and an app that allows for touch access to the radio. I have run into issues with it on start up and the fact that my Android stick has no memory for the time/date it always resets.

My newsmy is 4.2.2 and there has to be a point at which the updates slow down a bit. I can see why there is not a huge market for the a full android or apple automotive solution due to the update roll out.

I think a decent Android stick that can get the time date (maybe from the gps in the DUE) would probably work out pretty good. The resolution of your screen might need to change for the appradio. I would be willing to give some of it a try with my appradio set-up. Like I said I have most everything to make it work and I would if the clock could be updated without internet

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve never used any of the Android radios before, so I really don’t know the quirks like the time problem. But having something like GPS would allow for a way to set the clock, assuming the Android portion is rooted. If your newsmy only supports 4.2.2 that’s getting pretty old. That is the current minimum sdk I’ve got set, and occasionally I’m running into issues with wanting a newer version.

Resolution is one of the issues I’m thinking about. If I had a “Supported” device, like maybe the Newsmy, then things would be tailored for that screen. I’d like to offer layouts for different screens too, like portrait and 10″ tablets.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Ooops sorry both newsmy and Stick are 4.4 not 4.2.2. Newsmy has no issue with clock.. Android stick does (both are rooted)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

4.4 is much better. I looked at the newsmy and the community is quite active in developing for it. That looks pretty promising.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yes I would say that the newsmy is a good option. App radio with a rooted android needs to have HDMI and bluetooth to work.. Bluetooth handles the touch

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

Here’s what I’m working on and maybe you can get some hardware Ideas from it.

I’m kinda restoring (fixing up, customizing, whatever you want to call it) a 1985 GM car with a 1.5 din radio. There’s not really any options out there these day’s for a decent 1.5 din radio. I figured since I mainly listen to things over the internet why not try to build something android based. Through searching on the net I came across autosense.

The computer in the car is being upgraded to an obd2 2006 ecm. With the upgrade I have access to the can bus. 🙂

With Arduino I’m thinking things like a touchscreen start button. Also, Bluetooth control of who knows what.

From rough dimension it looks like I will be using a 6.5″ display and will use an android stick to run it.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

dmh, your plans seem to be along the same lines as myself. Do you have an idea of which Android stick you want to use?

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

More AppRadio info ( Based off of AppRadio2). I have the AR2 and a MK809III Androdi stick with 4.4. it connects to power and an hdmi cable to the AR2. HDMI is how the audio transfers from the stick to the radio output. It uses Bluetooth with AppRadio Unchained Reloaded for touch commands. It works decent. I think if you had a stick with a small battery to keep time/date it would be better or a gps injection for time date to android. For the full control of android and ARUr I believe it has to be a rooted device. Not sure how you can get the audio from your board into the AppRadio.. I had devised a way to do it with the HDTuner using the iPod input (non-lightning connector). I need to get a bench supply and I can set it back up again if needed to test out stuff, it may or not work well with the DUe though

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hmmm, thanks Jeff.
    If you can use the iPod input then it should work. I see the AppRadio 4 is out now, I wonder how it compares to your 2.

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

“dmh, your plans seem to be along the same lines as myself. Do you have an idea of which Android stick you want to use?”

Right now I have a MK802IIIs running 4.2.2 that I’ve been playing with. (still waiting on parts for the Arduino side)

I’m not an Android (or Arduino) expert but my thinking is, if I need to upgrade later I can just plug in a newer stick.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

That is one nice thing about the AppRadio, swap sticks to upgrade. no changing headunits or anything. the challenge I found was getting touch to always work first time on boot up, Especially with a phone connected hands free.

The AppRadio 4 seems to be more geared to the iPhone.. not sure about Android connections for a stick. I know they started using mirrorlink..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

From my limited knowledge of what’s available, something like the newsmy seems best. It runs Android without having to add anything to it. That’s what I’d like. I’m just hoping they release new products and updates to keep up.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I keep getting notifications for this post over 100 so far

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Oh my. I will see what I can do. Sorry about that. Are they all for this post?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.