HDTuner ideas…

Home Forums Software Suggestions HDTuner ideas…

This topic contains 65 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff- 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hmmm. I just put the radio in HD seek mode and it didn’t find a single HD station in my area. Maybe I need a better antenna? Or maybe there isn’t any HD Stations, I don’t know. I’ll have to see what I can find.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

@eric wrote:

Hmmm. I just put the radio in HD seek mode and it didn’t find a single HD station in my area. Maybe I need a better antenna? Or maybe there isn’t any HD Stations, I don’t know. I’ll have to see what I can find.[/quote:1

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Without a proper adapter cable you’d be required to open the tuner and solder 3 wires directly to the PCB for the Due to communicate (that’s how mine is setup). Plus you’d have to open the remote and disconnect 1 wire for so you can read the display but

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

So will the communication ultimately be coming out the round cable?

I have the Usb to HDTuner cable that I was using before.. will that not work?

Anyway it was a thought

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yes the comms will be done with the round cable.
    That cable won’t help in this case unfortunately.
    I’m looking online to see if any of my local radio offers HD stations or not, but so far can’t find much. I can get a Bellingham station that offers HD,

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Ok, I have a second HD tuner coming (spare)

If I can ‘hack’ the controller to have all the wires needed to test it with Arduino, I am happy to do it. I know I can get HD here..

Like I said I just need to find a low cost linear power supply or a way to

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I can take some pics of what you need to do to directly hookup the tuner to the Arduino. When I post those I’ll also make sure an updated Arduino firmware is posted along with a new Autosense build. You’ll need to update everything for it to work, a lot

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

@eric wrote:

I can take some pics of what you need to do to directly hookup the tuner to the Arduino. When I post those I’ll also make sure an updated Arduino firmware is posted along with a new Autosense build. You’ll need to update

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Well then maybe there isn’t much I need to do? Instead of reading RDS data get the HD data. Do you have a logic analyzer? If not I can add some data logging to Autosense to grab all the HD Radio data.

A quick look at the available commands looks prett

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I think I’ve found the info. One of the pages with sample bits has an HD station reply and it’s very easy to get the data.
    The HD data is much better than the RDS data, it has seperate fields for artis, song, station name, etc…

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Here are the pics of the “mods” you need to do to hookup the HD Radio to an Arduino. Note, the radio is 3.3 volt, so you MUST use a 3.3 volt Arduino, the Due is 3.3 volt so no problems, but the Uno is 5 volt and will fry your radio.
    With that o

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Can all those wires get connected on the round connector of the radio?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

In the end yes, but the round connectors puts out proper serial voltages, between -12 and +12 volts. You need an adapter to translate to the 3.3volts.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I got Tuner #2 on Friday.. I doubt I will have time this week to mess with it.. but I will let you know

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

No worries, I think I’ve got the HD stuff working as it seems pretty basic. So if you’d like to, go for it, otherwise you can wait until it’s hooked up properly and if it doesn’t work I’ll fix it.

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Hmmm. I just put the radio in HD seek mode and it didn’t find a single HD station in my area. Maybe I need a better antenna? Or maybe there isn’t any HD Stations, I don’t know. I’ll have to see what I can find.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

@eric wrote:

Hmmm. I just put the radio in HD seek mode and it didn’t find a single HD station in my area. Maybe I need a better antenna? Or maybe there isn’t any HD Stations, I don’t know. I’ll have to see what I can find.[/quote:1

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Without a proper adapter cable you’d be required to open the tuner and solder 3 wires directly to the PCB for the Due to communicate (that’s how mine is setup). Plus you’d have to open the remote and disconnect 1 wire for so you can read the display but

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

So will the communication ultimately be coming out the round cable?

I have the Usb to HDTuner cable that I was using before.. will that not work?

Anyway it was a thought

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yes the comms will be done with the round cable.
    That cable won’t help in this case unfortunately.
    I’m looking online to see if any of my local radio offers HD stations or not, but so far can’t find much. I can get a Bellingham station that offers HD,

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Ok, I have a second HD tuner coming (spare)

If I can ‘hack’ the controller to have all the wires needed to test it with Arduino, I am happy to do it. I know I can get HD here..

Like I said I just need to find a low cost linear power supply or a way to

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I can take some pics of what you need to do to directly hookup the tuner to the Arduino. When I post those I’ll also make sure an updated Arduino firmware is posted along with a new Autosense build. You’ll need to update everything for it to work, a lot

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

@eric wrote:

I can take some pics of what you need to do to directly hookup the tuner to the Arduino. When I post those I’ll also make sure an updated Arduino firmware is posted along with a new Autosense build. You’ll need to update

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Well then maybe there isn’t much I need to do? Instead of reading RDS data get the HD data. Do you have a logic analyzer? If not I can add some data logging to Autosense to grab all the HD Radio data.

A quick look at the available commands looks prett

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I think I’ve found the info. One of the pages with sample bits has an HD station reply and it’s very easy to get the data.
    The HD data is much better than the RDS data, it has seperate fields for artis, song, station name, etc…

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Here are the pics of the “mods” you need to do to hookup the HD Radio to an Arduino. Note, the radio is 3.3 volt, so you MUST use a 3.3 volt Arduino, the Due is 3.3 volt so no problems, but the Uno is 5 volt and will fry your radio.
    With that o

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Can all those wires get connected on the round connector of the radio?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

In the end yes, but the round connectors puts out proper serial voltages, between -12 and +12 volts. You need an adapter to translate to the 3.3volts.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I got Tuner #2 on Friday.. I doubt I will have time this week to mess with it.. but I will let you know

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

No worries, I think I’ve got the HD stuff working as it seems pretty basic. So if you’d like to, go for it, otherwise you can wait until it’s hooked up properly and if it doesn’t work I’ll fix it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 66 total)

The forum ‘Suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.