How to hookup Arduino Due to Android

Home Forums Hardware Arduino Due How to hookup Arduino Due to Android

This topic contains 23 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of that_kid that_kid 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

Is will Autosense download firmware to the Arduino DUE? I have my DUE connected to the tablet with the otg cable plus power on the DUE programming port but I see no indication of an accessory being plugged in on the tablet. The Tablet shows it’s chargin

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

No. The tablet will only program the firmware for an Uno. There isn’t any way for the tablet to program the Due. Two totally different programming methods.

that_kid
    Participant

OK, I saw the post on manually updating the DUE firmware so I’ll do that.

that_kid
    Participant

I haven’t uploaded the firmware to my DUE yet but I did connect my Arduino Duemilanove and Autosense was able to see it. So now this gets me thinking that I can just use this and move my code from the Arduino side into Autosense. Still I need to get CAN

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Using a Duemilanove is easier than using a Due. The Due however offers more features out of the box.
    I would like to work closely and get the CANBUS stuff working.
    I plan on having the Arduino do as much processing as possible. It will get configura

that_kid
    Participant

Yeah I’m debating if I’ll switch to the Duemilanove as I don’t need as many i/o ports onboard now that I’m using i2c expanders. Having the Arduino do it’s part of the work is good since that will offload work from the tablet.

In my installation CANBUS

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That all sounds doable. Once the editor is working all those should be fairly simple to implement. Having two way communication is already working. It’s mainly implementing the needed protocols and the translation between them.

that_kid
    Participant

The good thing about providing translations between the Arduino and tablet is it makes it easier to adapt to other vehicles because all that needs to be changed are the CANBUS id’s, and frame lengths.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

As I don’t know anything about CANBUS, how would one go about finding the ID and frame length? Is it something that I could automate maybe? Or is it a manual pain in the ass procedure?

that_kid
    Participant

Oh it’s a pain for sure. I spent many hours in the car probing for things. The easiest way that Autosense could help discover ID’s and such would be to display all the incoming data on the screen. You could have a mode where it tells the Arduino to sen

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

500kbps really shouldn’t be an issue. I’m using I2C and running it at 400kbps without any issues. The USB however is only running at 115kbps, so the Arduino will have to filter out what doesn’t matter, queue up what does, and blast it up. That’s what I

that_kid
    Participant

The CANBUS hardware can handle the high data rate without issue, I was just wondering about the usb link as it is slower but by we should be able to take a big bite out of how much data needs to be transferred.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The Arduino can handle the data too, but the USB Serial bus can only handle 115k, so it will be the bottle neck for sure. I’m sure the relevant information won’t use the constant 500k. But using something like the Due with significantly more RAM would a

that_kid
    Participant

Do you have any photos of the cluster or is that still a work in progress? I thought about getting the UDOO and still might for get one for other projects. On a side note I finally got my tablet installed in the truck. There are some bugs to work out

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Still very much a work in progress. But here is a picture of it on the desk.
    The ATMega drives the fuel gauge, speedo, and tach. The LED strip is my “idiot lights”… signals, high beams, oil pressure warning etc…

You can see hints of it in

• Author
    that_kid
    Participant

Is will Autosense download firmware to the Arduino DUE? I have my DUE connected to the tablet with the otg cable plus power on the DUE programming port but I see no indication of an accessory being plugged in on the tablet. The Tablet shows it’s chargin

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

No. The tablet will only program the firmware for an Uno. There isn’t any way for the tablet to program the Due. Two totally different programming methods.

that_kid
    Participant

OK, I saw the post on manually updating the DUE firmware so I’ll do that.

that_kid
    Participant

I haven’t uploaded the firmware to my DUE yet but I did connect my Arduino Duemilanove and Autosense was able to see it. So now this gets me thinking that I can just use this and move my code from the Arduino side into Autosense. Still I need to get CAN

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Using a Duemilanove is easier than using a Due. The Due however offers more features out of the box.
    I would like to work closely and get the CANBUS stuff working.
    I plan on having the Arduino do as much processing as possible. It will get configura

that_kid
    Participant

Yeah I’m debating if I’ll switch to the Duemilanove as I don’t need as many i/o ports onboard now that I’m using i2c expanders. Having the Arduino do it’s part of the work is good since that will offload work from the tablet.

In my installation CANBUS

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That all sounds doable. Once the editor is working all those should be fairly simple to implement. Having two way communication is already working. It’s mainly implementing the needed protocols and the translation between them.

that_kid
    Participant

The good thing about providing translations between the Arduino and tablet is it makes it easier to adapt to other vehicles because all that needs to be changed are the CANBUS id’s, and frame lengths.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

As I don’t know anything about CANBUS, how would one go about finding the ID and frame length? Is it something that I could automate maybe? Or is it a manual pain in the ass procedure?

that_kid
    Participant

Oh it’s a pain for sure. I spent many hours in the car probing for things. The easiest way that Autosense could help discover ID’s and such would be to display all the incoming data on the screen. You could have a mode where it tells the Arduino to sen

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

500kbps really shouldn’t be an issue. I’m using I2C and running it at 400kbps without any issues. The USB however is only running at 115kbps, so the Arduino will have to filter out what doesn’t matter, queue up what does, and blast it up. That’s what I

that_kid
    Participant

The CANBUS hardware can handle the high data rate without issue, I was just wondering about the usb link as it is slower but by we should be able to take a big bite out of how much data needs to be transferred.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The Arduino can handle the data too, but the USB Serial bus can only handle 115k, so it will be the bottle neck for sure. I’m sure the relevant information won’t use the constant 500k. But using something like the Due with significantly more RAM would a

that_kid
    Participant

Do you have any photos of the cluster or is that still a work in progress? I thought about getting the UDOO and still might for get one for other projects. On a side note I finally got my tablet installed in the truck. There are some bugs to work out

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Still very much a work in progress. But here is a picture of it on the desk.
    The ATMega drives the fuel gauge, speedo, and tach. The LED strip is my “idiot lights”… signals, high beams, oil pressure warning etc…

You can see hints of it in

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.