Launching Autosense with 'other' FTDI Devices

Home Forums Software Bug Reports Launching Autosense with 'other' FTDI Devices

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff- 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Currently, I am using a USB FTDI cable for my HDTuner. When I launch Autosense it crashes, everytime.  I am assuming it is due to the FTDI not matching what autosense expects.

Is there a way to turn off the FTDI detection in  Autosense?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

If AutoSense has been set to auto connect to the FTDI USB device, then you can clear the defaults in the Android Settings.  I’m guessing when AutoSense tries to initiate the connection something happens.  I’ll try plugging in an FTDI device I have that isn’t an Arduino.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Oh yeah I will clear that and try it

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

If I unplug the other FTDI device, Autosense works, as soon as I connect it it crashes. I wonder if it is something with the devices in the code? since it crashed whether I try the DUE as a device or other components.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I think it’s the way AutoSense is trying to enumerate those devices.  I’ve been adding that code and not doing a lot of error checking.  I need to figure out some way to check if the device is actually what we’re looking for, and if not maybe release it back to the system, if possible.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Maybe add a simple first command to store in the DUE.. Maybe as simple as

Android: Sends ‘Type’ (maybe 0xFE) or some hex

Arduino: responds ‘autosense’ in HEX

if yes, all is good, else, ignore COMs until next time app restarts or a button in setting for ‘COM Check’

Dunno if that could be done or not

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah that’s my thought.  Set a handshake of sorts.  Once agreed continue comms, if failed stop.  I’d like to release the device is possible, but I don’t know if Android lets me do such a thing or not.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

When I have used the other HD radio app ( which also loses control of the tuner) and my ALDL program both with USB, neither program tried to communicate with the other.

That said, I could try my ALDL USB cable and see what happens with the Autosense UI.

• Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Currently, I am using a USB FTDI cable for my HDTuner. When I launch Autosense it crashes, everytime.  I am assuming it is due to the FTDI not matching what autosense expects.

Is there a way to turn off the FTDI detection in  Autosense?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

If AutoSense has been set to auto connect to the FTDI USB device, then you can clear the defaults in the Android Settings.  I’m guessing when AutoSense tries to initiate the connection something happens.  I’ll try plugging in an FTDI device I have that isn’t an Arduino.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Oh yeah I will clear that and try it

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

If I unplug the other FTDI device, Autosense works, as soon as I connect it it crashes. I wonder if it is something with the devices in the code? since it crashed whether I try the DUE as a device or other components.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I think it’s the way AutoSense is trying to enumerate those devices.  I’ve been adding that code and not doing a lot of error checking.  I need to figure out some way to check if the device is actually what we’re looking for, and if not maybe release it back to the system, if possible.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Maybe add a simple first command to store in the DUE.. Maybe as simple as

Android: Sends ‘Type’ (maybe 0xFE) or some hex

Arduino: responds ‘autosense’ in HEX

if yes, all is good, else, ignore COMs until next time app restarts or a button in setting for ‘COM Check’

Dunno if that could be done or not

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah that’s my thought.  Set a handshake of sorts.  Once agreed continue comms, if failed stop.  I’d like to release the device is possible, but I don’t know if Android lets me do such a thing or not.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

When I have used the other HD radio app ( which also loses control of the tuner) and my ALDL program both with USB, neither program tried to communicate with the other.

That said, I could try my ALDL USB cable and see what happens with the Autosense UI.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.