Marshmallow on Nexus 7

Home Forums Autosense General Discussion Marshmallow on Nexus 7

This topic contains 39 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of that_kid that_kid 3 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

My original plan was to do a fixed installation, but the power was always an issue.  I believe @that_kidd resolved this by removing the battery hooking power to it’s terminals.  This still leaves the problem of USB though.  Since it only has the one USB port you can either use Accessory mode which is shield only, or Device mode which allows for things like external hard drives, but the shield code isn’t working well.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

right.. so for now I use Tablet for testing.. I have not gotten the shield back in the car yet

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Hey That kid.. is your Nexus a permanent install?

How did you handle that? are you using TIMURs rom? or something else?

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

Yes Jeff my Nexus is a permanennt install.  I tried TIMURs rom on my nexus 2012 and for lollipop on my nexus 2013 but in the end I went with a stock rooted rom.  I found a german website who showed how you could put the Nexus to sleep by grounding a pin on a transistor in the Nexus itself.  I actually have to rollback to Lollipop as Google broke usb dac output with Marshmallow.  All audio is in mono when using a usb dac.  I see TIMUR has a new rom for Marshmallow now but I find some of this practices a little shady.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Cool. If you have a link or info for that to put the tablet to sleep that would be great. Does it keep the battery draw really low?

also is that for the 2012 or 2013 tablet?

that_kid
    Participant

The information I had was for the 2013 Nexus but I believe the 2012 functions the same way.  The biggest part is finding where the part is located at.  The site is in Russian but google translate gets you all the important bits.  As far as the battery draw it’s hard to tell since I removed the battery from my Nesxus.  I power it directly from a 5 volt regulator.

that_kid
    Participant

This Post on that same thread shows the location for a 2012 Nexus

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Awesome!!! Time to hack a tablet again 🙂 and revert to Lollipop too

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Another question. Are you running a power supply for the battery and at the USB connection? Or will the Hardware force to sleep do you just use the one power supply? (I know you removed the Battery)

How hard was it to swap the USB connection? I know I have an extra Micro USB PCB from a nexus that needs a new USB connector..

that_kid
    Participant

I power my usb devices through a 12 volt usb hub.  I’ve found that the usb devices don’t sleep, I’m sure there’s a way to do it but since I only have a few devices and the current draw is very low I don’t worry about it.  It was an issue when I was using a hard drvie and ssd but since I’ve switched to a usb ssd the power draw has been much better.  I desoldered the microusb connector from the board and ran wires to a regular usb connector.  At first I had a board with a micro usb connector but after a few times taking the unit in and out that proved to be the week link.  I have a hot air solder station so it wasn’t hard to remove the connector using just a soldering iron.

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

My original plan was to do a fixed installation, but the power was always an issue.  I believe @that_kidd resolved this by removing the battery hooking power to it’s terminals.  This still leaves the problem of USB though.  Since it only has the one USB port you can either use Accessory mode which is shield only, or Device mode which allows for things like external hard drives, but the shield code isn’t working well.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

right.. so for now I use Tablet for testing.. I have not gotten the shield back in the car yet

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Hey That kid.. is your Nexus a permanent install?

How did you handle that? are you using TIMURs rom? or something else?

that_kid
    Participant

Yes Jeff my Nexus is a permanennt install.  I tried TIMURs rom on my nexus 2012 and for lollipop on my nexus 2013 but in the end I went with a stock rooted rom.  I found a german website who showed how you could put the Nexus to sleep by grounding a pin on a transistor in the Nexus itself.  I actually have to rollback to Lollipop as Google broke usb dac output with Marshmallow.  All audio is in mono when using a usb dac.  I see TIMUR has a new rom for Marshmallow now but I find some of this practices a little shady.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Cool. If you have a link or info for that to put the tablet to sleep that would be great. Does it keep the battery draw really low?

also is that for the 2012 or 2013 tablet?

that_kid
    Participant

The information I had was for the 2013 Nexus but I believe the 2012 functions the same way.  The biggest part is finding where the part is located at.  The site is in Russian but google translate gets you all the important bits.  As far as the battery draw it’s hard to tell since I removed the battery from my Nesxus.  I power it directly from a 5 volt regulator.

that_kid
    Participant

This Post on that same thread shows the location for a 2012 Nexus

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Awesome!!! Time to hack a tablet again 🙂 and revert to Lollipop too

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Another question. Are you running a power supply for the battery and at the USB connection? Or will the Hardware force to sleep do you just use the one power supply? (I know you removed the Battery)

How hard was it to swap the USB connection? I know I have an extra Micro USB PCB from a nexus that needs a new USB connector..

that_kid
    Participant

I power my usb devices through a 12 volt usb hub.  I’ve found that the usb devices don’t sleep, I’m sure there’s a way to do it but since I only have a few devices and the current draw is very low I don’t worry about it.  It was an issue when I was using a hard drvie and ssd but since I’ve switched to a usb ssd the power draw has been much better.  I desoldered the microusb connector from the board and ran wires to a regular usb connector.  At first I had a board with a micro usb connector but after a few times taking the unit in and out that proved to be the week link.  I have a hot air solder station so it wasn’t hard to remove the connector using just a soldering iron.

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 40 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.