More work on the shield

Home Forums Hardware AutoSense Shield More work on the shield

This topic contains 18 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric Eric 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So I’ve been planning the PCB and seeing how much I can fit into the space I have and it’s coming along nicely. I’ve added a connector for 8 analog inputs. They can be used for input or output, but there is not protection on them. I’ve added diodes to the 10 designated inputs so if you hookup 12 volts by accident you wont fry them. They will only work with a ground signal. I’ve also decided to remove the expensive volume control chip. I can make it work, but the digital pot works great, and it doesn’t required +/- 5 volts, plus voltage translation for the SPI bus. Just much easier without it. That also freed up some room for the analog inputs.
    I plan on testing as much of the shield on breadboard as possible before ordering the stuff up. I hope to finish that up by the end of the week and get the parts ordered.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Sounds cool..

I have yet to touch my car with the android unit in it.. i need to get the latest code on there to allow for the volume intents

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So I got the first batch of parts. I only bought enough to make one shield so I can test everything. I found a few issues on my PCB which have been fixed, now I can test everything together. So I’ve spent a few hours putting the basics of it together on a bread board.
    Here is a pic of what I’ve got so far. Things all seem to be working, once I am sure they’re all correct I’ll order up the PCB’s and start putting them together 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Oh, I forgot to say, I’m trying to get the on board USB-serial converter working on the Due, which would mean I won’t need the FTDI chip and will reduce the cost, so let’s hope that goes well.

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

nice work, when I was fooling around with trying to get serial usb on the due working with my nexus I remember having to use the cdc driver along with a few other things for it to actually work. In the end it worked but I stopped working on things when my daughter was born.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Thanks for the tip. I’d rather use the built in stuff as much as I can.

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

Eric, any idea of when you may have them ready for sale?

Also what part of the world are you in? (Just wondering about shipping)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The PCB’s are going to take a few weeks to arrive once ordered. I’m hoping to be ready before the end of November. I still need to finish the software too.
    I’m in Canada. If you go to the shop and add the shield to the shopping cart you’ll get a shipping quote.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’m working on getting those shipping rates down. Currently shipping is calculated by each item being shipped separately, I’m looking into being able to combine shipping for more than one item.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

SO what did you settle on for the board components/functions?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve got a board that is just shy of 6″x4″ that fits on top of the UDOO, or regular Due. It comes with the power filter and accessory power sensing circuit. There is a power controlling IC that will turn on the power when the accessory line goes high, and keep it on based on a timer. So it won’t turn on and off while cranking, but will turn off after a configureable timeout. The optional components are as follows:
    IO

• 12 protected digital inputs, they only accept a ground signal
    • 10 outputs providing 12 volts
    • 8 “analog” inputs. These can be used for digital input or output as well. They offer NO protection, use with caution

Audio

• 4 channel audio switcher
    • Digital potentiometer volume control with 129 steps

CANBUS

• The hardware is configured, but nothing has been done software side yet

GPS

• GPS module with remote antenna option. Again, software not written, but is planned

HD Radio

• Connector to plug in your HD Radio. Control is fully done in Android (so it’s easy for me to fix/update), the Arduino does the serial communication and voltage translation

Temperature Sensors

• 2 temperature sensor connectors. They will auto configure for the inside/outside display

Here is an image of the silkscreen, I’m going to do one last full check before ordering the boards.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Digit pot is controlled how? human interaction with a knob? or through android?

Would this be a Master? where would the audio out go to?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The 4 inputs are switched to a single output with the volume controlling all of it. So the idea is all your devices plug into the mixer and the output is hooked up to an amp or stereo input or whatever your speakers are powered by. Then the inputs are configured in AutoSense, so you’d set input 1 to be your HD Radio, and input 2 to be AutoSense on Android, input 3 could be an a bluetooth receiver or whatever, and then when you switch to that source in AutoSense (say HD Radio) the audio source would switch to input 1. The onscreen volume controls will control the digi pot by default. So the onscreen volume controls all your devices (they just need to be set to acceptable levels and then left alone).

I’d like to add a nice editor for the inputs so you can hookup a knob, either an analog sensor, rotary encoder, or just buttons to control the volume too.

What do you mean a Master?

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Oops, I meant master Volume, but you answered my questions

I wonder how it would work in my scenario

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I think if you set all your volumes to a good level and use your HD Radio instead of the one built into the headunit, as long as you can always have the aux input activated it should work fine.

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So I’ve been planning the PCB and seeing how much I can fit into the space I have and it’s coming along nicely. I’ve added a connector for 8 analog inputs. They can be used for input or output, but there is not protection on them. I’ve added diodes to the 10 designated inputs so if you hookup 12 volts by accident you wont fry them. They will only work with a ground signal. I’ve also decided to remove the expensive volume control chip. I can make it work, but the digital pot works great, and it doesn’t required +/- 5 volts, plus voltage translation for the SPI bus. Just much easier without it. That also freed up some room for the analog inputs.
    I plan on testing as much of the shield on breadboard as possible before ordering the stuff up. I hope to finish that up by the end of the week and get the parts ordered.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Sounds cool..

I have yet to touch my car with the android unit in it.. i need to get the latest code on there to allow for the volume intents

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

So I got the first batch of parts. I only bought enough to make one shield so I can test everything. I found a few issues on my PCB which have been fixed, now I can test everything together. So I’ve spent a few hours putting the basics of it together on a bread board.
    Here is a pic of what I’ve got so far. Things all seem to be working, once I am sure they’re all correct I’ll order up the PCB’s and start putting them together 🙂

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Oh, I forgot to say, I’m trying to get the on board USB-serial converter working on the Due, which would mean I won’t need the FTDI chip and will reduce the cost, so let’s hope that goes well.

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

nice work, when I was fooling around with trying to get serial usb on the due working with my nexus I remember having to use the cdc driver along with a few other things for it to actually work. In the end it worked but I stopped working on things when my daughter was born.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Thanks for the tip. I’d rather use the built in stuff as much as I can.

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

Eric, any idea of when you may have them ready for sale?

Also what part of the world are you in? (Just wondering about shipping)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The PCB’s are going to take a few weeks to arrive once ordered. I’m hoping to be ready before the end of November. I still need to finish the software too.
    I’m in Canada. If you go to the shop and add the shield to the shopping cart you’ll get a shipping quote.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’m working on getting those shipping rates down. Currently shipping is calculated by each item being shipped separately, I’m looking into being able to combine shipping for more than one item.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

SO what did you settle on for the board components/functions?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve got a board that is just shy of 6″x4″ that fits on top of the UDOO, or regular Due. It comes with the power filter and accessory power sensing circuit. There is a power controlling IC that will turn on the power when the accessory line goes high, and keep it on based on a timer. So it won’t turn on and off while cranking, but will turn off after a configureable timeout. The optional components are as follows:
    IO

• 12 protected digital inputs, they only accept a ground signal
    • 10 outputs providing 12 volts
    • 8 “analog” inputs. These can be used for digital input or output as well. They offer NO protection, use with caution

Audio

• 4 channel audio switcher
    • Digital potentiometer volume control with 129 steps

CANBUS

• The hardware is configured, but nothing has been done software side yet

GPS

• GPS module with remote antenna option. Again, software not written, but is planned

HD Radio

• Connector to plug in your HD Radio. Control is fully done in Android (so it’s easy for me to fix/update), the Arduino does the serial communication and voltage translation

Temperature Sensors

• 2 temperature sensor connectors. They will auto configure for the inside/outside display

Here is an image of the silkscreen, I’m going to do one last full check before ordering the boards.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Digit pot is controlled how? human interaction with a knob? or through android?

Would this be a Master? where would the audio out go to?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The 4 inputs are switched to a single output with the volume controlling all of it. So the idea is all your devices plug into the mixer and the output is hooked up to an amp or stereo input or whatever your speakers are powered by. Then the inputs are configured in AutoSense, so you’d set input 1 to be your HD Radio, and input 2 to be AutoSense on Android, input 3 could be an a bluetooth receiver or whatever, and then when you switch to that source in AutoSense (say HD Radio) the audio source would switch to input 1. The onscreen volume controls will control the digi pot by default. So the onscreen volume controls all your devices (they just need to be set to acceptable levels and then left alone).

I’d like to add a nice editor for the inputs so you can hookup a knob, either an analog sensor, rotary encoder, or just buttons to control the volume too.

What do you mean a Master?

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Oops, I meant master Volume, but you answered my questions

I wonder how it would work in my scenario

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I think if you set all your volumes to a good level and use your HD Radio instead of the one built into the headunit, as long as you can always have the aux input activated it should work fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.