Screen questions

Home Forums Hardware Other Screen questions

This topic contains 13 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of -Jeff- -Jeff- 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

DMH,

what are you using for a touchscreen? I have a stick I would not mind getting a touch screen for

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

Jeff, I haven’t gotten that far yet. Right now I just have it plugged into a monitor and I’m controlling it with a mouse and keyboard.

I’m thinking I’ll give one of the ebay china ones a try when I go to get one. It will have to fit in a 1 1/2 din size opening, so probably in the 5-6.5″ range.

If you get one, please post how it works for ya.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

@dmh
    Currently thing have only been tested and working on a 7″ or larger screen, specifically the Nexus 7. It is possible to change the resolution and dpi for things to fit on smaller screens, but may it may not work without some tweaking.
    I’m working on improving this, but it’s going to take a while still.

I have the chalkboard electronics screen, and while the screen is nice, it has a plastic overlay that has peeled up and made things quite ugly.  I’m not sure if it was the sun, or temperature, or what, but I’m not happy with that portion of it.

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

@eric

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if anyone has tested it on any smaller cell phones? My problem is I need some kind of monitor that will fit inside the dimensions of a 1.5 din radio. Approx, 188mm x 85mm. I know nothing is going to fit it exactly but as long as the display is inside those dimensions I can fill the rest of the space up with something else.

I’m not in a hurry. The car I plan on putting it in probably won’t be on the road for another 6-12 months. (hopefully :D)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve done some testing on smaller screens, like the Nexus 5, and it doesn’t look good.

The resolution and dpi can be changed, which can be helpful in making things fit properly.  Adjusting the theme to fit on smaller screens is quite difficult as there is already so much info, and almost no room unused.

Profile photo of WilliamPufy
    WilliamPufy
    Participant

i would like to tell you guys if you are using autosense on a board insted of a tablet, you could run it on linux embedded. Boards like the beaglebone and I think even on the udoo. I am currently testing some thing on the raspberry pi2. If any of you are interested just give me a shout for more details.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That sounds cool. Details are always wanted.

My problem with an embedded board is a screen.  I have the chalkboard electrics screen and it’s shit.  It has stopped working completely, it looks like the glass is broken, but it’s not, and their support is non-existent.  I will never buy another of their products.  A tablet or a dedicated Android radio should have a much better screen.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

looks more like separation or delamination than cracking

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah. Is the outer layer of plastic, it does scrape off, but it looks pretty bad. Plus the screen has stopped working completely.

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

wow that does look bad, how long have you had the screen?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

it’s only been in the car for about 6 months or so… it deteriorated VERY quickly.  Those pics were about a month in, it’s MUCH worse now…

that_kid
    Participant

I’d be mad too, It’s a damn shame they won’t exchange it.  Clearly something is wrong with it.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That’s part of the reason I really believe something like the newsmy is the way to go.  It’s designed to be in the car, it runs Android, it’s rootable… it just seems to be the right tool for the job.  Now to afford one…

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

The NU3001 (older is a unit with external Android box.. NR3001 is all in one..

there is larger screen sizes too NU3001 and NR3001 are 7″

• Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

DMH,

what are you using for a touchscreen? I have a stick I would not mind getting a touch screen for

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

Jeff, I haven’t gotten that far yet. Right now I just have it plugged into a monitor and I’m controlling it with a mouse and keyboard.

I’m thinking I’ll give one of the ebay china ones a try when I go to get one. It will have to fit in a 1 1/2 din size opening, so probably in the 5-6.5″ range.

If you get one, please post how it works for ya.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

@dmh
    Currently thing have only been tested and working on a 7″ or larger screen, specifically the Nexus 7. It is possible to change the resolution and dpi for things to fit on smaller screens, but may it may not work without some tweaking.
    I’m working on improving this, but it’s going to take a while still.

I have the chalkboard electronics screen, and while the screen is nice, it has a plastic overlay that has peeled up and made things quite ugly.  I’m not sure if it was the sun, or temperature, or what, but I’m not happy with that portion of it.

Profile photo of dmh
    dmh
    Participant

@eric

Thanks for the heads up. Do you know if anyone has tested it on any smaller cell phones? My problem is I need some kind of monitor that will fit inside the dimensions of a 1.5 din radio. Approx, 188mm x 85mm. I know nothing is going to fit it exactly but as long as the display is inside those dimensions I can fill the rest of the space up with something else.

I’m not in a hurry. The car I plan on putting it in probably won’t be on the road for another 6-12 months. (hopefully :D)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve done some testing on smaller screens, like the Nexus 5, and it doesn’t look good.

The resolution and dpi can be changed, which can be helpful in making things fit properly.  Adjusting the theme to fit on smaller screens is quite difficult as there is already so much info, and almost no room unused.

Profile photo of WilliamPufy
    WilliamPufy
    Participant

i would like to tell you guys if you are using autosense on a board insted of a tablet, you could run it on linux embedded. Boards like the beaglebone and I think even on the udoo. I am currently testing some thing on the raspberry pi2. If any of you are interested just give me a shout for more details.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That sounds cool. Details are always wanted.

My problem with an embedded board is a screen.  I have the chalkboard electrics screen and it’s shit.  It has stopped working completely, it looks like the glass is broken, but it’s not, and their support is non-existent.  I will never buy another of their products.  A tablet or a dedicated Android radio should have a much better screen.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

looks more like separation or delamination than cracking

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah. Is the outer layer of plastic, it does scrape off, but it looks pretty bad. Plus the screen has stopped working completely.

that_kid
    Participant

wow that does look bad, how long have you had the screen?

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

it’s only been in the car for about 6 months or so… it deteriorated VERY quickly.  Those pics were about a month in, it’s MUCH worse now…

that_kid
    Participant

I’d be mad too, It’s a damn shame they won’t exchange it.  Clearly something is wrong with it.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

That’s part of the reason I really believe something like the newsmy is the way to go.  It’s designed to be in the car, it runs Android, it’s rootable… it just seems to be the right tool for the job.  Now to afford one…

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

The NU3001 (older is a unit with external Android box.. NR3001 is all in one..

there is larger screen sizes too NU3001 and NR3001 are 7″

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.