Shield Digital I/O

Home Forums Hardware AutoSense Shield Shield Digital I/O

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Eric Eric 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Question more specifically on the Digital Inputs…

If I have a Digital signal coming in to the Shield, what are my options? meaning can it display the status of that input? can that Input be used to trigger (I think that is an option)

Reason I ask is I have a couple solenoids I would like to detect if they open/close. I have sensors to detect the open close so it is a matter of display on the screen. This is not a must have but I question more around how the digital in (or analog in) work and display.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

What I’m currently finishing up is display for outputs. Showing the status of the output button whether it’s high or low. The inputs can trigger system actions (next song, mute, etc…) or outputs.

That current functionality doesn’t exist to display inputs alone, but I like the idea and see no reason not to add it. Any thoughts of how you would like it displayed?

Same kinda thing. Analog in is available, but doesn’t do anything yet. I plan on just sending raw data from the analog pins up to the Android and then do whatever with the data, but right now they do nothing.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yeah Id on’t really have any thought on displaying the inputs.. maybe on a side button?

for analog you would almost need to allow for extra info in case it was a conversion of some sort

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah. I’ll keep thinking of good ways to display the info. I could have another fragment that shows the states of all the inputs and outputs. Also maybe on a button or something…
    As for the analog, that’s basically my thought too. Acquire the raw data, and let the user decided what to do with it.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Digital is always tough, do you make an indicator or do you do text. or both. I think for an indicator it would be nice if the button itself changed color to stand out since it is an indicator, but again, I am not sure it is needed..

What I was thinking of was on my motor I have secondary solenoids that activate based on vacuum and rpm. I have sensors I can use to show if they actually actuate (this is what Iw as thinking of the digital input use) then I don’t add any holes to the dash for lights etc

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The text color is configurable to change color when high and low when triggered. If you have multiple buttons that trigger the same output, they all get the status update whether high or low. So the groundwork has been started for other sources to also change the color.

They can be hooked up to trigger an input. What will happen though is currently limited. An option or two for display would be nice… maybe button color, or separate screen or an alert…

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I think those will be a WIP (work in Progress)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The entire project is a WIP 😉

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

I like the idea of having input feedback on the buttons in the form of colors. One way I can use this is having a digital input check to see if the rear tablets/raspberry pi’s are powered up.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah. I’ll have to see what I can come up with by using an input as the feedback instead of the outputs value.

• Author
    Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Question more specifically on the Digital Inputs…

If I have a Digital signal coming in to the Shield, what are my options? meaning can it display the status of that input? can that Input be used to trigger (I think that is an option)

Reason I ask is I have a couple solenoids I would like to detect if they open/close. I have sensors to detect the open close so it is a matter of display on the screen. This is not a must have but I question more around how the digital in (or analog in) work and display.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

What I’m currently finishing up is display for outputs. Showing the status of the output button whether it’s high or low. The inputs can trigger system actions (next song, mute, etc…) or outputs.

That current functionality doesn’t exist to display inputs alone, but I like the idea and see no reason not to add it. Any thoughts of how you would like it displayed?

Same kinda thing. Analog in is available, but doesn’t do anything yet. I plan on just sending raw data from the analog pins up to the Android and then do whatever with the data, but right now they do nothing.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Yeah Id on’t really have any thought on displaying the inputs.. maybe on a side button?

for analog you would almost need to allow for extra info in case it was a conversion of some sort

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah. I’ll keep thinking of good ways to display the info. I could have another fragment that shows the states of all the inputs and outputs. Also maybe on a button or something…
    As for the analog, that’s basically my thought too. Acquire the raw data, and let the user decided what to do with it.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Digital is always tough, do you make an indicator or do you do text. or both. I think for an indicator it would be nice if the button itself changed color to stand out since it is an indicator, but again, I am not sure it is needed..

What I was thinking of was on my motor I have secondary solenoids that activate based on vacuum and rpm. I have sensors I can use to show if they actually actuate (this is what Iw as thinking of the digital input use) then I don’t add any holes to the dash for lights etc

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The text color is configurable to change color when high and low when triggered. If you have multiple buttons that trigger the same output, they all get the status update whether high or low. So the groundwork has been started for other sources to also change the color.

They can be hooked up to trigger an input. What will happen though is currently limited. An option or two for display would be nice… maybe button color, or separate screen or an alert…

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I think those will be a WIP (work in Progress)

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

The entire project is a WIP 😉

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

I like the idea of having input feedback on the buttons in the form of colors. One way I can use this is having a digital input check to see if the rear tablets/raspberry pi’s are powered up.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yeah. I’ll have to see what I can come up with by using an input as the feedback instead of the outputs value.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.