Tonights build

Home Forums Hardware AutoSense Shield Tonights build

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of that_kid that_kid 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve been working hard not just on the shield but other improvements and fixes. One such performance improvement is switching from Square’s Otto, to Green Robot’s Eventbus.
    Since there is subtle differences in the way the work I may have missed something. I’ve been working on the switch for a couple of months, doing one thing at a time. Well tonight I finished removing all of Otto to completely be replaced by Eventbus. It’s been noticeably faster in all my tests.
    So if you happen to install the latest nightly and notice anything that used to work that seems off or isn’t working, please let me know, it very well could be the eventbus changover.

Other things I’ve done include work on the shield firmware for the audio, volume control almost completely works. Up, down and mute are all working. I need to get the slider to work properly. Volume is saved after a timeout of 250 milliseconds as to not thrash the EEPROM and wear it out prematurely. Temperature sensors just work. If the components are available, just plug them in and temperature is displayed. Also a bunch of little improvements here and there not really worthy of their own post.

It should be up soon 🙂

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Sweet, I think I need to order the PCB and get started on that for my set-up

Profile photo of that_kid
    that_kid
    Participant

I’ll see if I can get a chance to update to the latest nightly. I’ll try that before I install Android M.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Awesome. I haven’t tried M yet. My Nexus doesn’t support it and last time I checked Gennymotion didn’t have support.
    I expect many problems with the new permission system. I haven’t begin switching everything over yet. So if you try Marshmallow and it works great, it not I’m not surprised 😉 I will begin work on it soon. I just need an M device.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I just checked Gennymotion and it only has a 6″ screen, that’s not helpful.

that_kid
    Participant

I didn’t get a chance to update anything last night but I’ll make sure to have a nandroid backup. I’ll let you know how things go.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I actually saw a failed build on your nightly

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yepp it did. Now that I’ve got the site issue fixed, I can fix the failed build.
    A new one is building now.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Eric,

do you keep a change log of what changes in your builds?? Just curious..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I have a changelog I update manually when I release a new stabler version. You can view that within AutoSense. In Settings/About/Changelog. I don’t keep one for nightly builds because so much changes. I do have the GIT commits though.
    I could look into maybe pulling the commit messages and have a page displayed for those if that’s something of interest.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I forgot about the changelog in the code.. not a big deal

that_kid
    Participant

So I got a chance to upgrade to Android M on my Nexus 7 and I’m happy to report that Autosense runs great on Android M.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Awesome. Did you get a 2013 Nexus 7? For some reason I though you had a 2012. If you do have a 2012 where did you get Marshmallow?

that_kid
    Participant

While I have some 2012 Nexi’s, the dash mounted Nexus is a 2013.  When I started planning on putting a tablet in the car it was going to be the 2012 but then the 2013 was announced and I waited.  I do have two 2012 Nexi’s in the rear for the kids but I may change those to raspberry pi’s with 7″ touchscreens.

• Author
    Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I’ve been working hard not just on the shield but other improvements and fixes. One such performance improvement is switching from Square’s Otto, to Green Robot’s Eventbus.
    Since there is subtle differences in the way the work I may have missed something. I’ve been working on the switch for a couple of months, doing one thing at a time. Well tonight I finished removing all of Otto to completely be replaced by Eventbus. It’s been noticeably faster in all my tests.
    So if you happen to install the latest nightly and notice anything that used to work that seems off or isn’t working, please let me know, it very well could be the eventbus changover.

Other things I’ve done include work on the shield firmware for the audio, volume control almost completely works. Up, down and mute are all working. I need to get the slider to work properly. Volume is saved after a timeout of 250 milliseconds as to not thrash the EEPROM and wear it out prematurely. Temperature sensors just work. If the components are available, just plug them in and temperature is displayed. Also a bunch of little improvements here and there not really worthy of their own post.

It should be up soon 🙂

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Sweet, I think I need to order the PCB and get started on that for my set-up

that_kid
    Participant

I’ll see if I can get a chance to update to the latest nightly. I’ll try that before I install Android M.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Awesome. I haven’t tried M yet. My Nexus doesn’t support it and last time I checked Gennymotion didn’t have support.
    I expect many problems with the new permission system. I haven’t begin switching everything over yet. So if you try Marshmallow and it works great, it not I’m not surprised 😉 I will begin work on it soon. I just need an M device.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I just checked Gennymotion and it only has a 6″ screen, that’s not helpful.

that_kid
    Participant

I didn’t get a chance to update anything last night but I’ll make sure to have a nandroid backup. I’ll let you know how things go.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I actually saw a failed build on your nightly

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Yepp it did. Now that I’ve got the site issue fixed, I can fix the failed build.
    A new one is building now.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

Eric,

do you keep a change log of what changes in your builds?? Just curious..

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

I have a changelog I update manually when I release a new stabler version. You can view that within AutoSense. In Settings/About/Changelog. I don’t keep one for nightly builds because so much changes. I do have the GIT commits though.
    I could look into maybe pulling the commit messages and have a page displayed for those if that’s something of interest.

Profile photo of -Jeff-
    -Jeff-
    Participant

I forgot about the changelog in the code.. not a big deal

that_kid
    Participant

So I got a chance to upgrade to Android M on my Nexus 7 and I’m happy to report that Autosense runs great on Android M.

Profile photo of Eric
    Eric
    Keymaster

Awesome. Did you get a 2013 Nexus 7? For some reason I though you had a 2012. If you do have a 2012 where did you get Marshmallow?

that_kid
    Participant

While I have some 2012 Nexi’s, the dash mounted Nexus is a 2013.  When I started planning on putting a tablet in the car it was going to be the 2012 but then the 2013 was announced and I waited.  I do have two 2012 Nexi’s in the rear for the kids but I may change those to raspberry pi’s with 7″ touchscreens.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.